• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Farewell the City of London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farewell the City of London

Not that I post in this forum but this is too important not to share

The EU & US do deal to open up EU financial markets to US banks.

As UK banks have only time limited access to EU financial markets it is likely that without a deal UK clearing banks will lose out to EU & US banks putting at risk London’s role as dominant financial centre.

And that's before the impact of withdrawing from lots of data and intelligence sharing agreements, London might be unable to deal with countries outside the EU as their companies will need proper audit trails and the ability to spot/deal with financial crimes.

There's not enough dodgy Russians and Sheikhs to make up for that potential revenue loss.
    I do wonder how financial services contractors are going to cope and look forward to Tarbera's comments.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Not that I post in this forum but this is too important not to share

I do wonder how financial services contractors are going to cope and look forward to Tarbera's comments.
    <vetran, Shaunbhoy, Mordac> So who cares if a few people lose their jobs. It's a price worth paying to be free of unelected bureaucrats. We can make our own laws and trade globally and have millions of sovrinty n'that, innit. </vetran, Shaunbhoy, Mordac>
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Can’t even fooking buy US shares today via HL

Comment

Is there a source for that quote?

Comment

EU opens up to US clearing houses in blow to City of London : CityAM

(but not that quote re dodgy Russians)
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

“ “This decision is a significant first step in the process of recognising US central counterparties registered with the US Securities and Exchange Commission in the European Union.”

Comment

Apparently in the EU derivatives are already being traded in the US because the advantage of London has gone. The UK is just yet another 3rd country, and if you have all the 3rd country hassle you may as well go to the US because it's the cheapest place to trade them.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                <vetran, Shaunbhoy, Mordac> So who cares if a few people lose their jobs. It's a price worth paying to be free of unelected bureaucrats. We can make our own laws and trade globally and have millions of sovrinty n'that, innit. </vetran, Shaunbhoy, Mordac>
                We now get to elect those who tax* and pass laws over us. The same can't be said of those who will wake up one day soon to discover they don't. They may not actually care, but if they do, Europe is in for a very rough time.

*The EU doesn't control taxation yet, but if anyone doubts there will be some form of centralised EU taxation in the next decade or so is more of an optimist than a realist.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Centralised taxation in EU is the only way to prevent some local fookers from being elected and changing taxes massively (not cutting them obviously), remember that when Labour wins election here and increased taxes on top of “pro-business” Tory party increases

Comment

Working...
                  X