• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you Opt Out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to go by what an agency suggested (90% of contractors opt out). After visiting this forum I understood the benefits of opt in. For my last contract I insisted that I wanted to opt in, but agency told me they would not release my contract unless I sign opt out. All the conversations on this happened over phone. Asked them for an email mentioning why they think I should opt out, which I never got. I did not want to lose the contract so I had to opt out.
    Last edited by raphal; 5 July 2014, 20:29.

Comment

Originally posted by raphal View Post
      I used to go by what an agency suggested (90% of contractors opt out). After visiting this forum I understood the benefits of opt in. For my last contract I insisted that I wanted to opt in, but agency told me they would not release my contract unless I sign opt out. All the conversations on this happened over phone. Asked them for an email mentioning why they think I should opt out, which I never got. I did not want to lose the contract so I had to opt out.
      To which the reply should have been

1) don't worry I have copious notes from these phone calls so won't have any problem documenting your by-passing of the law in my complaint.

or 2) sign the contract and send a second email revoking the opt out as soon as they confirm return the fully signed contract...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        I never volunteer to, but when it's clear that it's an "opt out or don't actually get submitted" I do.

Yes the agents aren't allowed to, but let's face it not only do we lack a way to enforce the rules, but they can easily claim that there were better candidates so it's a total farce.

If only the stupid opt out hadn't been negotiated in the first place we wouldn't have been saddled with this particular mess for years.

I wonder which organisation was responsible for having the opt out put in to the legislation?
        We all know that, but it was (and is) for valid commercial reasons for contractors who use subbies or their own staff. It's the agencies that have perverted it and BIS that refuse to enforce the law.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I am really shocked at the number of people who casually buckle and sign the opt out!! All they are doing is adding to the pimps statistics that claim 'most contractors opt out' and therefore so should you!
          It is the principle of protecting the rights for all thats most important not spinelessly caving in when the pimp says jump.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
            I am really shocked at the number of people who casually buckle and sign the opt out!! All they are doing is adding to the pimps statistics that claim 'most contractors opt out' and therefore so should you!
            It is the principle of protecting the rights for all thats most important not spinelessly caving in when the pimp says jump.
            I think you are wrong. All the people that have responded are experienced contractors and have made a decision based on a good understanding of the situation. They are not being spineless and caving. If you want a group of people to pick on go for the contractors that don't engage in this forum, don't have a clue about IR35 and probably don't even know what opt out means.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              it was (and is) for valid commercial reasons for contractors who use subbies or their own staff.
              Is that really the reason why the PCG gave us the opt-out?

Is there any official guidance on that (other than hearsay)?

I had hoped to read something about it in PCG's guide to the agency regs.. If the opt-out exists specifically "for contractors who use subbies or their own staff" then one could presume that the disadvantages of opting out in such circumstances would be discussed there.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                We all know that, but it was (and is) for valid commercial reasons for contractors who use subbies or their own staff. It's the agencies that have perverted it and BIS that refuse to enforce the law.
                You really do need to stop making these random statements! The conduct Regs are completely silent on the matter of subsitution.

None of the above in Malvolio's statement is true! I am interested Mal, are you on the CC or are you just a misinformed member?

If anyone who is a PCG member wants to know why what Mal is saying is Bull go take a look at PCG forums during this week. There's not much activity there so the discussion should be easy to find.
                Last edited by tractor; 6 July 2014, 07:06.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I think you are wrong. All the people that have responded are experienced contractors and have made a decision based on a good understanding of the situation. They are not being spineless and caving. If you want a group of people to pick on go for the contractors that don't engage in this forum, don't have a clue about IR35 and probably don't even know what opt out means.
                  I agree entirely. The reason for my posting the poll is because I can get no valid information even from the PCG. That may change.

It's a shame you cannot have a poll without discussion because I really only wanted the numbers, not the reasoning. I would not presume to advise anyone on their business model if their mind was already made up.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                    Is that really the reason why the PCG gave us the opt-out?

Is there any official guidance on that (other than hearsay)?

I had hoped to read something about it in PCG's guide to the agency regs.. If the opt-out exists specifically "for contractors who use subbies or their own staff" then one could presume that the disadvantages of opting out in such circumstances would be discussed there.
                    PCG didn't give us the opt out. The predecessor of the BIS did. Whilst the PCG did make representations, they were ignored at the final hurdle.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                      You really do need to stop making these random statements! The conduct Regs are completely silent on the matter of subsitution.

None of the above in Malvolio's statement is true! I am interested Mal, are you on the CC or are you just a misinformed member?

If anyone who is a PCG member wants to know why what Mal is saying is Bull go take a look at PCG forums during this week. There's not much activity there so the discussion should be easy to find.
                      I didn't say anything about substitution. Not everyone is a one man band, there are plenty of people out there in partnerships , with their own staff or using sub-contractors who do not want to be bound to the Agency Regulations which is what would happen if there wasn't an opt out. Would you want to run a business where you would have to pay everyone before you got paid yourself, or have a means to prevent your people decamping to the client and taking over your business? Since the scope of the Regs was so broad, the ability for them not to apply was necessary.

As I said, it is the agencies that are misusing it, nobody else.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X