• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Co bank balance and divorce FDR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    oh she knows, she just thinks she can ask the court to make me pay her costs.

she just doesn't want to understand - she is on a different planet.
    You should know that courts take a dim view of friviolous actions. Often this is why a company will make a (very) low offer out of court wrt settlements. Then if you take a hard headed approach that is unreasonable in the court's view, they will adjust any settlement accordingly and may even make you pay a share or all of the costs becuase you were frivolous or reckless.

Comment

Courts in this country are a joke, I have been involved in many types of cases and in every single case the side which could afford the more expensive legal team won. So I have no faith in any kind of justice.

As for divorce your ex is being badly advised, but that is to be expected from lawyers who see her as a revenue stream. The couple will always be better off coming to a settlement themselves and reducing the legal bill as much as possible.

As for the Ltd company issues, if it helps you could always start working through an umbrella, wind the company up paying all the taxes due. Make sure the judge understands your employer is only an umbrella and its a zero hours contract with no guarantees over income from week to week. This removes any possibility that the ex can target money kept to pay tax bills.

If there are kids involved fathers for justice website is worth a read
      Last edited by CoolCat; 7 July 2014, 09:28.

Comment

I think the only advice would be to pay the corporation tax on account as that will reduce the balance and while she may wish to argue the point I can't see any judge agreeing with her.

That will remove the large figure her greedy eyes are looking at and hopefully defuse the situation a bit..
        Last edited by eek; 7 July 2014, 12:51.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          That will remove the large figure her greedy eyes are looking at and hopefully defuse the situation a bit..
          +1. The ex only sees a "bank" account with lots of money in it that only you have access to.

qh
          Last edited by quackhandle; 7 July 2014, 13:02.
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            +1. The ex only sees a "bank" account with lots of money in it that only you have access to.

qh
            While she is doing this her legal beagles are wiping their hands with glee! They are not going to rush to tell her the error of her ways: rather, they are going bill against the joint home equity until the cows come home. 'Legal beagles' like to say they advise but they are much more comfortable carrying out ' client instructions' even when the instructions have no merit! Instruct your 'beagles' to stop this farce now!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I am going to pay early both corporation tax and VAT so as to keep the bank balance at a more reasonable level. Also her lawyers today wrote me an offer that was calculated without recourse to ltd co funds so maybe I have won this battle :-)
              Sent from my RM-941_eu_euro1_262 using Tapatalk
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I am going to pay early both corporation tax and VAT so as to keep the bank balance at a more reasonable level. Also her lawyers today wrote me an offer that was calculated without recourse to ltd co funds so maybe I have won this battle :-)
                You might want to double-check with the VAT department if they are happy for you to pay early.

I've accidentally double-paid a VAT bill before and despite being told on the phone that I could leave the overpayment "on account" and reduce my next payment, HMRC subsequently issued a refund cheque for the overpayment (this ended up causing me all sorts of hassle for various reasons, but that's another story).

Paying CT early definitely not an issue though and they should pay you some measly interest too.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  You might want to double-check with the VAT department if they are happy for you to pay early.

I've accidentally double-paid a VAT bill before and despite being told on the phone that I could leave the overpayment "on account" and reduce my next payment, HMRC subsequently issued a refund cheque for the overpayment (this ended up causing me all sorts of hassle for various reasons, but that's another story).

Paying CT early definitely not an issue though and they should pay you some measly interest too.
                  Good advice, in fact my accountant told me this today as well, they are going to inform HMRC not to issue any refunds.
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Hope you're sorted soon and can start moving on.
                    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

If they refund by cheque, at least it reduces the account balance for a while until you pay the cheque back in
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X