• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BPSS and gross misconduct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPSS and gross misconduct

Hi

I was recently dismissed for a gross misconduct. Is this going to show up in BPSS?

Thank you!

Originally posted by aleksm View Post
    Hi

I was recently dismissed for a gross misconduct. Is this going to show up in BPSS?

Thank you!
    And if it does...?

There's a nice long thread about clearance which contains your answer. There's another shorter recent one that has the same discussion about three posts away from yours. Go have a read.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      And if it does...?

There's a nice long thread about clearance which contains your answer. There's another shorter recent one that has the same discussion about three posts away from yours. Go have a read.
      Could you be more specific please? I read that HR is unlikely to disclose reason for leaving, but is there more to it? How can I chech if the people from BPSS are going to specifically ask? If they do, I guess HR will disclose it, correct?

Comment

Could you be more specific please?
        No, not on my day off when the answer is already available. Sorry...
        I read that HR is unlikely to disclose reason for leaving, but is there more to it? How can I chech if the people from BPSS are going to specifically ask? If they do, I guess HR will disclose it, correct?
        You are missing the point of Clearance entirely. Perhaps first find out what BPSS entails?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Almost certainly.

You should declare it up front and get in first with your side of the story about how you made a mistake that you are deeply ashamed of and remorseful for and you have now turned your life around. Depending on what the conduct was, you may or may not get the BPSS.

Attempting to conceal it and getting found out would be much worse than being honest about it. As well as knowing your background, they are also anxious that you don't have any skeletons in your closet that someone could use to blackmail you with.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            Almost certainly.

You should declare it up front and get in first with your side of the story about how you made a mistake that you are deeply ashamed of and remorseful for and you have now turned your life around. Depending on what the conduct was, you may or may not get the BPSS.

Attempting to conceal it and getting found out would be much worse than being honest about it. As well as knowing your background, they are also anxious that you don't have any skeletons in your closet that someone could use to blackmail you with.
            Thank you for your reply. I didn't think that he misconduct was that serious but it ended up with a dismissal. Namely, the company laptop was found to be used for personal use outside working hours visiting websites that contained malware which resulted in serious bridge of IT policy and a gross misconduct.
            Any more thoughts on how this could affect the BPSS?

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I didn't think that he misconduct was that serious but it ended up with a dismissal. Namely, the company laptop was found to be used for personal use outside working hours visiting websites that contained malware which resulted in serious bridge of IT policy and a gross misconduct.
              Breach of trust, ignoring company rules, risking corporate systems, breaking security protocols and good practice.... Not a good starting point, is it?
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Back to your original question - will they ask.. Up until today, I had never heard of BPSS. A quick Google search for "bpss" and the top result yields this document.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...y_Standard.pdf

It must have taken me at least 30 seconds to find this paragraph

Appropriate references can verify employment history and may also provide an additional means of verifying an individual‟s identity and integrity. However, there is an increasing reluctance on the part of employers to provide frank and timely comments on an individual‟s character and suitability for employment because of DPA/FOI concerns, even for internal postings. They can also add severe delays to the recruitment process. So, although departments and agencies may continue to seek suitable references if they wish, they are not required as part of the BPSS.
                Short answer - No they don't have to, but they might anyway.

Comment

Good grief this sounds less like some serious incident and more like spilling coffee on the carpet. Souds very harsh to me, who doesn't vist a few websites whilst working. Having worked in many companies, I would say absolutely everyone visits websites for personal use at some point. Even if you put a virus on the laptop, so what! They should have systems in place to prevent the spread.

Forget it, I doubt this will be a problem
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Good grief this sounds less like some serious incident and more like spilling coffee on the carpet. Souds very harsh to me, who doesn't vist a few websites whilst working. Having worked in many companies, I would say absolutely everyone visits websites for personal use at some point. Even if you put a virus on the laptop, so what! They should have systems in place to prevent the spread.

Forget it, I doubt this will be a problem
                    True but while doing it you also shoulder the risk of harming your company's IT systems.The IT policies tend to be pretty clear and infecting the system is pretty black and white. I don't think it's harsh at all.
                    Remember there are always two sides to every tale. I can't believe for one minute he got malware from a quick browse of BBC news website every so often.... and using company kit for personal browsing outside working ours is just.. well pretty stupid really.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X