• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start this Monday but no contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Personally, I would lean towards starting work with a view to cutting the contract short if they couldn't come up with agreeable terms.
    That presumes that there is an easy way out of the contract.

I'd give the company a sample PCG or Qdos contract, and point them to the PCG guidance on the new legislation, and check that they are happy with that.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I wouldn't let the complete lack of signed contract stop me from turning up on day one, so long as:

a) Rate and billing terms have been agreed
      b) The contract was made available to me by the end of the first day, or I won't be in for day two (and they will be getting billed for day one regardless)

What I wouldn't do is turn up having already been presented with a contract that I wasn't happy with and hadn't signed, if negotiation was still ongoing; I'd be worried turning up could constitute acceptance of the last contract that was exchanged.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        I'd register for DueDil and (if they are a small SME) see if they've got the green to pay you.

qh
        +1 I had my suspicions about an SME a few weeks back. 30 minutes after getting onto duedil I had the 6 month liquidators' report of the overseas company that had been the sole owner of the SME before 999 new shares (representing 99.9% ownership) of the SME's shares were transferred to another similarly named company with identical ownership etc. etc.

I politely made my excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          What I wouldn't do is turn up having already been presented with a contract that I wasn't happy with and hadn't signed, if negotiation was still ongoing; I'd be worried turning up could constitute acceptance of the last contract that was exchanged.
          Good point and you would be right to be concerned - this is known in law as Battle of the forms.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
          X