• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No confidence in agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No confidence in agent

An agency that I use has contacted me about a potential contract. I've never spoken to this particular agent before and he sounds like a @&$%. He forgot what I told him on the phone last week, so I had to repeat it all. He keeps pushing me for references which I've refused to give right now and despite the fact I've told him what my minimum rate would be, he keeps saying 'about that'.

The contract itself however is quite interesting, but if he annoys the client as much as he has me, then he's going to harm my chances of getting it.

I want to say no to him, and go to another agent that I do like who has a good relationship with this client.

It's probably not the done thing, but I think I'm justified in these circumstances.

If anyone's done the same, would appreciate tips on how to handle it professionally.

No, you haven't told him your minimum rate, you've told him your rate, full stop.

If you haven't signed anything or told Del Boy that he has exclusive rights to you for this contract, go with another agency.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Is it national NCOTBAC day today or something
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        No, you haven't told him your minimum rate, you've told him your rate, full stop.

I do have a minimum rate, surely we all do when looking for a contract, unless you'd refuse more?

I go for roles at a mid-level of seniority/ responsibility because I don't want the stress or the pressure of anything more. But, I work within myself and if I took a contract that came with more expectation, then I'd want a rate higher than my minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
          I do have a minimum rate, surely we all do when looking for a contract, unless you'd refuse more?

I go for roles at a mid-level of seniority/ responsibility because I don't want the stress or the pressure of anything more. But, I work within myself and if I took a contract that came with more expectation, then I'd want a rate higher than my minimum.
          I tell the agent my rate: £XXX - the agent says 'what the minimum you would accept?' - I say £XXX.

If the role is different, or it's a London contract then my reply is £ZZZ (usually higher, occasionally lower). I have my minimum but I would NEVER tell that to the agent.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

I tell the agent my rate: £XXX - the agent says 'what the minimum you would accept?' - I say £XXX.

If the role is different, or it's a London contract then my reply is £ZZZ (usually higher, occasionally lower). I have my minimum but I would NEVER tell that to the agent.
            Ok, I see what you're saying. I said my rate is £XXX, he said he would put me in at around £XXX, I said No, if it's less than £XXX then I'm not interested.

Comment

Ok, I see what you're saying. I said my rate is £XXX, he said he would put me in at around £XXX, I said No, if it's less than £XXX then I'm not interested.
              And don't be surprised if an agent reacts with rage when you do that. My response is .

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                LOL ... good luck with that one.
                What's wrong with that? I'm currently in a BA role, I work with a Senior BA who, I presume, has a slightly higher day rate than me. I can do his job, but if he left and they asked me to step up I'm not going to take on the extra work / responsibility without a higher rate.

Comment

An agency that I use has contacted me about a potential contract.
                  How do you mean use? Anyway, starting well.

I've never spoken to this particular agent before and he sounds like a @&$%. He forgot what I told him on the phone last week, so I had to repeat it all.
                  He probably speaks to 100s of contractors a week and doesn't really give a chuff about them unless they earn him cash and even then I wouldn't hope for too much from him. Wouldn't be overly bothered about this point at the moment.

He keeps pushing me for references which I've refused to give right now
                  Fair enough, just part of the game. You could advise him you will only be giving the names of the two agencies you worked for so are of no sales use to him so he might back off. Either way stick to your guns.

and despite the fact I've told him what my minimum rate would be, he keeps saying 'about that'.
                  Oops. First big mistake on your part. How on earth are you going to get your maximum rate when you have told him what the least you will work for is? You don't think he is going to stick another £100 on it which will come straight out of his pocket do you? He is saying 'about that' as you have clearly left him too much wiggle room so he will make a decision on how much he can fleece you for when he has assed the other candidates.

The contract itself however is quite interesting, but if he annoys the client as much as he has me, then he's going to harm my chances of getting it.
                  He has a very different relationship with the client than he does the contractor. They will say here is a role, we will pay £XXX go sort it.

I want to say no to him, and go to another agent that I do like who has a good relationship with this client.

It's probably not the done thing, but I think I'm justified in these circumstances.

If anyone's done the same, would appreciate tips on how to handle it professionally.
                  Absolutely nothing wrong with this but you are banking on the fact that there is a) Another agent on the PSL b) The other agency has view of this contract and c) You can actually find who this other agent is in time.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And don't be surprised if an agent reacts with rage when you do that. My response is .
                    He's already told me he's on a fixed margin. Now, whether that's true or not he can't then be annoyed with me for that. And besides, I once accepted a contract at a lower rate than I said I would. It was only £25 a day less, but it never sat well with me throughout that whole contract, so I think the best way forward is honesty. I'm not asking for anything more than the going rate, just not going to be squeezed when I don't need to be.

Of course I would take a different stand if I had been benched for a while and money was tight, but thankfully that's not happened to me yet...... not yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X