• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Direct or via Agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct or via Agency

Hi

Is it cheaper for the client to use an agency or direct with the contractor ? Even after an offer ?

Steve

Originally posted by steve80 View Post
    Hi

Is it cheaper for the client to use an agency or direct with the contractor ? Even after an offer ?

Steve
    I suspect you have something in mind but are actually asking the wrong question. It doesn't really matter which of the two costs the client more. You are only concerned about what you are making.

It isn't a given that chopping the agent out of the loop means the contractor gets more. There might be a limit of £400 per day for the contactor but if the client uses an agent he covers the agents cost.

What exactly are you after? Are you wondering if you can get more money going direct and chopping the agent out? Generally you can't go direct if there is an agent involved.

Give us some more context and you might get an answer you can use.

And what does 'Even after the offer mean?'
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My previous gig was negotiated direct, after we agreed all the details the contract itself was done by an agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        My previous gig was negotiated direct, after we agreed all the details the contract itself was done by an agency.
        Not uncommon with larger businesses
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          Yep, I've had a fair few gigs like this.

The clients have been sold a pile of FUD by the agencies so they don't want to engage contractors direct for fear of them claiming employee benefits so they use an agency. Generally, this shouldn't be any cost to the contractor who will negotiate a rate with the client and the client then negotiates a fee (typically 3-5%) between themselves and the agency and this is paid on top of what they agree with the contractor.

It also means the agency can do the dirty work of forcing rate cuts on contractors for the client....
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Is it cheaper for the client to use an agency or direct with the contractor ?
            Yes, sometimes.

Even after an offer ?
            Not sure what you mean - if there has been an offer made, then the costs are going to be fixed now (assuming it's accepted).
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Had a few contracts direct with the company and honestly it took away all the nonsense that comes from dealing with horrible agencies. Finding good agencies is hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by ASCII View Post
                Had a few contracts direct with the company and honestly it took away all the nonsense that comes from dealing with horrible agencies. Finding good agencies is hard work.
                Especially if you don't read the contract before you sign it

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                  Especially if you don't read the contract before you sign it

Am going direct now but there was a bit of luck involved.

(+ a contact on the inside).

Only on a 3 monther for now but we'll see what happens near the end of that.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

Am going direct now but there was a bit of luck involved.

(+ a contact on the inside).

Only on a 3 monther for now but we'll see what happens near the end of that.

qh
                    Nice, my current role is direct, was a 3 monther, am still here 20 months later

Comment

Working...
                    X