• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Issues with team leader on client site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with team leader on client site

I am having issues with my team leader at my client's site. She is a consultant from a different consultancy. We follow the agile process and it has become obvious that my team leader is only concerned with her looking good during the sprint demo. Because of this, the quality of our product is suffering (badly written code, constant refactoring because she changes her mind, bad practice, etc).

For example, today in our retro, she demanded our code be fully commented because she cannot understand it when she reads it. I know commented code is bad practice because it encourages poor coding. Code should be self-documenting.

We were behind in our sprint and when I mentioned we need unit tests, she said 'we don't have time for that'. It's only since we installed a code coverage tool (Sonarqube) that the lack of coverage has been highlighted to senior management and not she is hell bent on getting code coverage. Not because she thinks its necessary, but because she's been told by management.

If we are behind in our sprint, she panics and this panic is transferred to the team.

These is a mild example of her behaviour.

I have highlighted the bad practice in retros and she has defended herself, saying I'm a perfectionist.

It's starting to get to me now. I try to just do what she says but it's my profession and I hate bad practice and incompetence.

Anyone in similar situation and can offer advice?

Have a meeting with her boss.

Then... keep calm, and carry on invoicing.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
      Have a meeting with her boss.

Then... keep calm, and carry on invoicing.
      If I make an issue with this, I'm afraid her boss might be disappointed that, as a contractor, I can't just get along with it and not rock the boat.

The invoice point is right, I constantly have to remind myself thats what I'm there for but it's so hard biting my tongue. I'm sick of rowing withe her.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        If I make an issue with this, I'm afraid her boss might be disappointed that, as a contractor, I can't just get along with it and not rock the boat.

The invoice point is right, I constantly have to remind myself thats what I'm there for but it's so hard biting my tongue. I'm sick of rowing withe her.
        Part of the added value of getting in contractors is a certain breadth of experience that often comes with them. You could always say "I just wanted to raise a concern - as a professional it's my duty.... but with that being said, i'm not going to kick up a stink. Just thought you should be aware."

Comment

Re " I know commented code is bad practice because it encourages poor coding" absolute and utter bollocks.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
            Re " I know commented code is bad practice because it encourages poor coding" absolute and utter bollocks.
            +1

Of course over commenting can be worse than no comments. But a few well chosen comments are invaluable.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              +1

Of course over commenting can be worse than no comments. But a few well chosen comments are invaluable.
              The team leader wants us to comment code so it saves her time understanding what it does, not to actually help the team. Of course I support comments where necessary but only when necessary.

Please don't focus on the code comments line - it's more her desperation to look good to management than producing a quality product that concerns me.

Comment

Please don't focus on the code comments line - it's more her desperation to look good to management than producing a quality product that concerns me.
                Then I think she has probably got it right. Sign of the times.

IMO you should just carry on invoicing. Everything else does not matter.

Comment

Why are you rowing with her?

If your only problem is she isn't following the agile methodology you think your team should be doing you need to chill. Agile methodologies are rarely done properly by the vast majority of firms. Most firms pay lip service to agile.

Anyway you should always bribe the permies you work with day-to-day with food/drinks and by praising them for an idea they sprout you came up a week ago.

Only if they are really obnoxious should you put them in their place. Panicking and not making a decision don't fall into this. Blaming you for the project f***up to management does.

Now go and read a copy of "How to win friends and influence people".
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I am having issues with my team leader at my client's site. She is a consultant from a different consultancy. We follow the agile process and it has become obvious that my team leader is only concerned with her looking good during the sprint demo. Because of this, the quality of our product is suffering (badly written code, constant refactoring because she changes her mind, bad practice, etc).

For example, today in our retro, she demanded our code be fully commented because she cannot understand it when she reads it. I know commented code is bad practice because it encourages poor coding. Code should be self-documenting.

We were behind in our sprint and when I mentioned we need unit tests, she said 'we don't have time for that'. It's only since we installed a code coverage tool (Sonarqube) that the lack of coverage has been highlighted to senior management and not she is hell bent on getting code coverage. Not because she thinks its necessary, but because she's been told by management.

If we are behind in our sprint, she panics and this panic is transferred to the team.

These is a mild example of her behaviour.

I have highlighted the bad practice in retros and she has defended herself, saying I'm a perfectionist.

It's starting to get to me now. I try to just do what she says but it's my profession and I hate bad practice and incompetence.

Anyone in similar situation and can offer advice?
                    Kudos for taking pride in your profession, but the sad fact is that as a contractor sooner or later you're going to run up against this. As long as your back is covered and there's no way she can damage your reputation then just suck it up and as someone else said "think of the invoice"...

Comment

Working...
                    X