• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Watchdog - Online Screening

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    OK, so if you know the rules you also know that the Security Watchdog will have no authority over SC clearance, all they can do is kick start the process that the SSOs should be following anyway.

As you say, more pointless outsourcing of activities that are actually really simple, just to make life ever more complicated.
    Not pointless to Crapita...they've somehow sold it as a 'Must Have' feature, and got away with it.

Shrouded within the cloak of ineptitude there lies a grain of intelligence, or at the very least, low animal cunning...

Comment

Well,

Hopefully I'm almost at the end of a Kafka-esque nightmare of pointless bureaucracy and box-ticking.

The 'Security Screening' is not, as I first thought, an in-depth screening of your background to ensure that you are suitable for the role to which it pertains.

Oh no. The online questionnaire comprises generic questions about your background, employment and education. The only thing that they check on is the information that you enter - none of which is compulsory other than you have to enter something in order to fill out each box and you have to fill out each box before the form is complete.

The 'screening' part is little more than proving what you've put in the box. For example; under 'Education' I noted that I had attended a university from <date> to <date> and attained a qualification - this was followed up by an email asking me to provide evidence that I had attended from <date> to <date> and to provide evidence that I had attained the qualification.
      If I had simply put N/A then no one would have been the wiser.

In the 'Employment' section I included gaps between gigs - this resulted in an email asking me for details of a referee who could verify that I was benched during those times. When I said that I could provide details of agents could verify the start and end dates of my contracts, the response was "you need to have known them for 5 years"...

Once through to the person's supervisor, I explained calmly my frustrations and it transpired that I had been confused by the wording of the question, to which the supervisor admitted that the form is in the process of being improved.

It's a barely concealed rip-off.

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
        Well,

Hopefully I'm almost at the end of a Kafka-esque nightmare of pointless bureaucracy and box-ticking.

The 'Security Screening' is not, as I first thought, an in-depth screening of your background to ensure that you are suitable for the role to which it pertains.

Oh no. The online questionnaire comprises generic questions about your background, employment and education. The only thing that they check on is the information that you enter - none of which is compulsory other than you have to enter something in order to fill out each box and you have to fill out each box before the form is complete.

The 'screening' part is little more than proving what you've put in the box. For example; under 'Education' I noted that I had attended a university from <date> to <date> and attained a qualification - this was followed up by an email asking me to provide evidence that I had attended from <date> to <date> and to provide evidence that I had attained the qualification.
        If I had simply put N/A then no one would have been the wiser.

In the 'Employment' section I included gaps between gigs - this resulted in an email asking me for details of a referee who could verify that I was benched during those times. When I said that I could provide details of agents could verify the start and end dates of my contracts, the response was "you need to have known them for 5 years"...

Once through to the person's supervisor, I explained calmly my frustrations and it transpired that I had been confused by the wording of the question, to which the supervisor admitted that the form is in the process of being improved.

It's a barely concealed rip-off.

Yes sounds very much like my experience.
        Refused to provide the character references for the gaps, I said I was self employed so there was no gap, just no contract during these so called "gaps"

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          Yes sounds very much like my experience.
          Refused to provide the character references for the gaps, I said I was self employed so there was no gap, just no contract during these so called "gaps"
          I dread to think how much they bill the client for this 'service' - it's a complete nonsense that provides no value that I can see whatsoever.

Crapita - you bring the smoke, we'll bring the mirrors...

Comment

Working...
          X