• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie to Contractor notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie to Contractor notice period

Hi all,

I am a permie hoping to move into contracting. I'm a bit uncertain about one thing though, my notice period.

I have a 4 week notice period with my job but I can't hand my notice in without having somewhere to go (mortgage, bills etc).

Quick start times for contracts seem to be the norm so I was wondering if anyone has not worked their notice period in a situation like this? To be honest I have had enough of my job so much that it personally doesn't bother me getting a contract and saying see ya! Just want to avoid any negative ramifications for the future.

Many thanks

Dave

To be honest if your cash flow is that tight you really should reconsider contracting. What's going to happen if you do three months and then spend the next three on the bench? There is also the very real possibility the gig you are going for will evaporate. You might find someone will wait but it's highly unlikely so I would rethink your situation and approach in to contracting. Dove tailing in to a gig with zero financial risk is going to be pretty hard.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      To be honest if your cash flow is that tight you really should reconsider contracting. What's going to happen if you do three months and then spend the next three on the bench? There is also the very real possibility the gig you are going for will evaporate. You might find someone will wait but it's highly unlikely so I would rethink your situation and approach in to contracting. Dove tailing in to a gig with zero financial risk is going to be pretty hard.
      +1, You need at least enough in the warchest for 3 months on the bench as an absolute minimum (6+ ideally).

Comment

So would your suggestion be save up to cover at least 3 months of bills etc and then try for a contract? What is the norm?

I will contract after my permanent role so it's the notice period I need some real advice on.

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

You are going to have to jack the job and then see what you can find. You're never going to start if you need clients to wait a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveitcont View Post
            So would your suggestion be save up to cover at least 3 months of bills etc and then try for a contract? What is the norm?

I will contract after my permanent role so it's the notice period I need some real advice on.

Thanks for your reply.
            Four weeks may be pushing at the limit, your problem is not so much clients but agents who will drop you like a stone when they find out. When I wanted to go contracting I had a 3 months notice period, knowing my current place would make me work it I just resigned with no where to go to (I did have enough savings to cover me for 3 months though). With 2 weeks left I started looking, found a role starting the Monday after my last day, I was probably lucky. A lot depends on what you do and how flexible you are on rate and location.

What's your skillset?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You are going to have to jack the job and then see what you can find. You're never going to start if you need clients to wait a month.
              I think I've confused matters. My question is "does anyone have experience moving from permie to contractor and not working all their notice period for their permie role"? I don't want to work my 4 week notice period. What I really want is to apply for contracts, hopefully get one, then hand my notice in and say I'm off in 2 weeks for example.

Comment

Hi all,

I am a permie hoping to move into contracting. I'm a bit uncertain about one thing though, my notice period.

I have a 4 week notice period with my job but I can't hand my notice in without having somewhere to go (mortgage, bills etc).

Quick start times for contracts seem to be the norm so I was wondering if anyone has not worked their notice period in a situation like this? To be honest I have had enough of my job so much that it personally doesn't bother me getting a contract and saying see ya! Just want to avoid any negative ramifications for the future.

Many thanks

Dave

Notice period has never been an issue for me, generally 1 month.

Was on 3 months when I went perm to contract, but had a healthy war chest to rely on and left without a contract to go to. Took 3 months.

To be honest it was nice to have a break after working perm for decades.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Accrue your holidays? Speak to HR to see what they think? You might be able to leave early. I certainly wouldn't advise purposely breaching contract.

Comment

I think I've confused matters. My question is "does anyone have experience moving from permie to contractor and not working all their notice period for their permie role"? I don't want to work my 4 week notice period. What I really want is to apply for contracts, hopefully get one, the. Hand my notice in and say I'm off in 2 weeks for example.
                    Many contracts are nailed on Friday, start on Monday.

Re: not working notice period you may find some hewing and spewing issued forth from the higher-ups, and threats or litigation, but there's not much they can do except possibly hang on to some due salary as long a as possible to mess you about.

Best to do it properly, you might need a reference from them, especially being a noob contractor with no track record.

So, save up 12 months of warchest, serve notice and start looking and heed this, friend of mine jacked his job in, took a payoff to go contracting, 9 months later still nothing......

Comment

Working...
                    X