• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alexander Mann - 30 day payment terms.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexander Mann - 30 day payment terms.

Evening all,

I've been offered a role through Alexander Mann which is supposed to commence on Monday. It's not until they sent through details that they are insisting on a 30 day payment term. After 30 days they will pay weekly.

Now I understand the arguements about being a business and invoices for normal companies paying on 30 day credit terms but I've not worked with them before. There's no way anyone would immediately issue 30 days credit to anyone from the start. He'll I've only just agreed a 14 day credit terms with a printer and I've used them for 6 months.
    My main question is: has anyone actually managed to negotiate different terms with this company. apparently they are reasonably large and are incisting that this is standard and there are no exceptions. So does every contractor just roll over and accept? They also gave me the line about being the only agency used by a national client (doesn't help the rep could hardly speak English).
    The contract is supposed to commence on Monday but there has been no contract issued so start will be delayed until this is all sorted.
    All advice gratefully received, unless it's abusive or a "flame" in which case it will be retaliated with full force.

Cheers muchly.

If it's flaming you want, should have posted in general. It's a business to business contract and no two businesses are the same. Ergo they cannot use the standard contract argument.

I have successfully negotiated payment terms on all contracts. You just need to stand your ground.

Weekly invoicing after 30 days sounds sweet, is this the only issue? Can't you hold out?

When you receive a contract do you just sign it? You should read it thoroughly and send it for IR35 review. I use QDos who have always provided me with a good service.

Sent from my iMinion using Tapatalk
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by colonelyeehaw View Post
      My main question is: has anyone actually managed to negotiate different terms with this company. apparently they are reasonably large and are incisting that this is standard and there are no exceptions.
      They are a pretty big business so it's difficult to make demands but go right ahead and negotiate with them if it's important. Someone I worked with managed to get them down to three week payment terms but it was such a hassle (they said it had to be signed off by the Finance Director personally ) that you wonder if it's worth the trouble.

Apparently they don't force their contractors to opt out which is good.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Yes Parity previously tried the opt out force trick. I followed the forum guidance and opted back in right before I started.

Comment

I always opt out.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            I always opt out.

Why? What do you gain from opting out?
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It would take a week to explain.

Comment

I have a friend contractor who negotiated the weekly payment after 30 days down to payment a week after invoicing. He was prepared to walk the walk if they hadn't agreed.
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  It would take a week to explain.

Go on then. I'm really curious as to what benefit you think you get by opting out.....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

When I have a week free.

Comment

Working...
                    X