• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Started gig, haven't signed contract or billed, hate it, can I just walk?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started gig, haven't signed contract or billed, hate it, can I just walk?

1 day in, it's *that* bad.

Scanner blew up on me last night so I am yet to return the signed contract (fate?), but I can't last 6 days at this place let alone 6 months.

Would you serve notice or would you just walk?

Looking at day's money as a bonus if I got it to be honest.

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post

Scanner blew up on me last night so I am yet to return the signed contract (fate?), but I can't last 6 days at this place let alone 6 months.

Would you serve notice or would you just walk?

Looking at day's money as a bonus if I got it to be honest.
    Turning up on site deems you have accepted the contract, if you are gonna bolt do it at the end of day one and write off the days money
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If you start a gig you have deemed by your actions in English law to have accepted the contract.

You therefore need to give notice otherwise the agency can refuse to pay you and the client can decide not to pay the agency.

If possible talk to the client manager first explain that you want to leave - you may have to make up personal reasons but don't say the travel distance is the problem - then give your notice to the agency.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Anyone intrigued as to what can happen in one work day that can put OP off the entire contract?

I've had bad first days but always give it a second day....

Comment

Originally posted by MCC7 View Post
          Anyone intrigued as to what can happen in one work day that can put OP off the entire contract?

I've had bad first days but always give it a second day....
          I am.

If an agency is involved they are more likely to be pissed off than the client here. Client will be annoyed as they now have to find another person at short notice but they'd probably prefer to have somebody who wants to be there in the first place. If OP writes off the days money then they shouldn't be out of pocket.

The agency OTOH stands to lose a days cut and potentially ongoing revenue. At best, OP is likely to be pushed further down the list of suitable candidates for a role by the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post
            Eh? After a whole day you think you can't cope with it! What's so bad about it?

I've worked at lots of places which start out looking like tulip but actually turn out to be quite good once you get into the swing of it.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

From experience and when I change a job, it's always bad the first day. Amount of times I've wanted to quit and walk !!

Give it least a couple of weeks then decide.

For me I've always gave new jobs time and it pays off.

Steve

Comment

When I was a perm we had a guy who never turned up on day 2.

TBH, think it's better to quit after 1 day, than after 2 weeks.

My contract has 1 day's notice in the first week - check what yours says, but if the job isn't as described, I doubt you'll get too much hassle.

Comment

I've quit after 2 days before...I've got enough experience to know when a job is wrong for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    When I was a perm we had a guy who never turned up on day 2.
                    How many chances did you give the guy?

Comment

Working...
                    X