• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving away from agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving away from agencies

So, I'm a technical author with over 20 years in the trade and 10 years as a contractor. I have a master plan to build up a portfolio of clients and provide fixed-price work on a proper freelance basis, with a view to moving away from the traditional agency-led contracting process (and associated IR35 b0ll0x).

I've already managed to land a couple of small jobs - from Linkedin and from a direct approach to a small local company - that I can fit in around my primary contract (I work away 4 days a week and so have spare time in the evenings and weekends) and would like to see if I can build on this and get more clients this way.

As a technical author, I'm thinking that potential clients would be small to medium-sized engineering / consultancy companies who build widgets etc but might not have the funds to employ a F/T author.

I realise that this isn't going to happen overnight and that for the forseeable future I'm going to be relying on agents, but I reckon if I can get enough clients who like my work then I can commence plate-spinning :-)

It's going to take patience and leg work, I know that - but my question for this forum is: Has anyone else done this and do you have any tips / advice / suggestions?

Many thanks

You might find this an interesting insight...

One point: not having an agent doesn't free you from IR35, YourCo is still an intermediary and therefore the regulations still apply. Obviously its a lot easier to demonstrate you're in business on your own account, but you still need to follow the usual guidance.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      You might find this an interesting insight...

One point: not having an agent doesn't free you from IR35, YourCo is still an intermediary and therefore the regulations still apply. Obviously its a lot easier to demonstrate you're in business on your own account, but you still need to follow the usual guidance.
      Good point. My reference was a throwaway statement - good job I don't write for a living...

Thanks for the link, too.

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
        So, I'm a technical author with over 20 years in the trade and 10 years as a contractor. I have a master plan to build up a portfolio of clients and provide fixed-price work on a proper freelance basis, with a view to moving away from the traditional agency-led contracting process (and associated IR35 b0ll0x).

I've already managed to land a couple of small jobs - from Linkedin and from a direct approach to a small local company - that I can fit in around my primary contract (I work away 4 days a week and so have spare time in the evenings and weekends) and would like to see if I can build on this and get more clients this way.

As a technical author, I'm thinking that potential clients would be small to medium-sized engineering / consultancy companies who build widgets etc but might not have the funds to employ a F/T author.

I realise that this isn't going to happen overnight and that for the forseeable future I'm going to be relying on agents, but I reckon if I can get enough clients who like my work then I can commence plate-spinning :-)

It's going to take patience and leg work, I know that - but my question for this forum is: Has anyone else done this and do you have any tips / advice / suggestions?

Many thanks
        This x10. Also lots of luck, right place, right time.

Good luck.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
        X