• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quiet periods during the year - January too?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
    Hi all,

I may be starting a new contract that ends in Dec 2014. How quiet is January with respect to finding contracts? I don't want to take this contract and then have nothing to do after Dec.

thanks all.
    Take the contract. Plan a holiday somewhere warm for January.

Comment

Ultimately, there is no "norm" of when is going to be quiet or not.

I was recruited directly in January by a client needing a niche skillset - interviewed second week of January, offered straight away, gave notice to client, started 20th.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Started my current gig in January this year, interviewed on around the 3rd IIRC, and was in place shortly afterwards

(For anyone who actually cares)
        latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Ultimately, there is no "norm" of when is going to be quiet or not.
          WTFS

If a client needs you they will hire you regardless of the time of year.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Would there be a possibility of an extension after December? I wouldn’t not take a contract just because it ends in January as it's not the only quiet period throughout the year for recruiting so as long as you have enough cash to keep you going for a few weeks in January you should be fine. I started a contract once on 17th December, was in for 4 days then had almost 2 weeks off over Xmas. As said previously, you could always have a few weeks off after it finished – would that really be a problem?

Comment

Thanks for the genuine input guys. I've been offered it and I'm waiting for contract - so I'm not going to say I've got until I start on Monday, but it looks good they are a nice bunch of guys, a nice place and the type of people I want to work with.

I do wish if there was a way I could just hide posts from some members of the forum though.

Comment

Thanks for the genuine input guys. I've been offered it and I'm waiting for contract - so I'm not going to say I've got until I start on Monday, but it looks good they are a nice bunch of guys, a nice place and the type of people I want to work with.

I do wish if there was a way I could just hide posts from some members of the forum though.
                You can. Click on their name, select "view profile" and under their name on the profile page there is a link "Add to Ignore List". Click that and answer Yes on the confirmation page.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Let me know when you find out how to do that

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    You can. Click on their name, select "view profile" and under their name on the profile page there is a link "Add to Ignore List". Click that and answer Yes on the confirmation page.
                    I took it he was meaning to hide his posts from some members

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Excellent, cheers mate!

Comment

Working...
                      X