• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dusseldorf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dusseldorf

Been approached about a 3 month gig in Dusseldorf which looks promising bur I have no idea what the place is like or the expected costs of working there.

Is it doable as a Mon-Fri gig or is that not reasonably possible?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Been approached about a 3 month gig in Dusseldorf which looks promising bur I have no idea what the place is like or the expected costs of working there.

Is it doable as a Mon-Fri gig or is that not reasonably possible?
    Leeds is nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Leeds is nicer.
      And Lids is a Shiite hole!
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Well, I secured a role working with some Leeds-based ex-colleagues in Dusseldorf, and they both said it's like Leeds but worse. I turned it down in the end as the Iceland ash cloud was causing havoc with flights at the time...

Vodafone?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Well, I secured a role working with some Leeds-based ex-colleagues in Dusseldorf, and they both said it's like Leeds but worse. I turned it down in the end as the Iceland ash cloud was causing havoc with flights at the time...

Vodafone?
          Telecoms, so probably.

Some people like Leeds

(I'm not one of them).
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Düsseldorf is actually quite nice and shouldn't be too expensive. There are enough airports in the vicinity (Düsseldorf, Dortmund, Köln-Bonn, etc) so that flights shouldn't be too difficult. There is a very good public transport system which is quite extensive so you could in fact stay outside of the city center. Then there is the Altstadt (otherwise known as the longest bar in the world
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The Altstadt is very nice. Airport is good with frequent flights to the UK. Not the cheapest of German cities to live in.

Comment

Did a bit of work there for Voda a few years back. The fllights over were inexpensive and almost entirely filled with VF staff/contractors. I found the place itself, well, unimpressive, but there were some nice bars. Also found it expensive but this was a few years back now so of course things change.
                "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                "See?"

Comment

Worked there about ten years ago and quite liked it. Never had issues walking around middle of the night, nice bars, great mixture of cultures so there is some awesome food to be had, even the kebabs can be eaten sober, picturesque down by the river, massive xmas market.

For me living outside the M25 it's not much longer to travel to Dusseldorf than it would be to London so I'd go for it if they were flexible with times.

Comment

One thing I really hated in that part of Germany was that you couldn't buy a reasonable size beer anywhere. Similar to Koln you buy tiny glasses of kolsch or alt beer, but you still pay through the nose for it.

Edit: I prefer Koln to Dusseldorf.

Comment

Working...
                    X