• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A bit of time on the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit of time on the bench

Last contract ran for over 3 years so it's been a while since I've been on the bench. Now into my 3rd week and starting to sweat it a little.

Still, taking the time to make use of my PluralSight subscription, never realised how little I knew!!

I've registered my CV with the usual sites but do any of you good people find any mileage in sending your CV directly to agents?
    You ain't seen me, right!

Registering direct with agents is (in my experience) not making any difference whatsoever. Put it on the usual job board websites, refresh it at least once per week, so it looks for the agents you just started searching. (they are more likely to contact people who just posted a cv)

Comment

Originally posted by dack View Post
      Last contract ran for over 3 years so it's been a while since I've been on the bench. Now into my 3rd week and starting to sweat it a little.

Still, taking the time to make use of my PluralSight subscription, never realised how little I knew!!

I've registered my CV with the usual sites but do any of you good people find any mileage in sending your CV directly to agents?
      I never bother sending them to agents. If they have a gig they will have advertised it anyway so as long as you hare watching the job boards. If you spam them all that will happen is you will get cold calls for ever more while you are in contract.

Your warchest much be massive after three years. You shouldn't be sweating after three weeks.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

See, in all the years of being in this game I have only once got a gig on the back of responding to an ad on a "job board" (as it happens it was one of the worst gigs I've had).

I always felt that the SAP contracts that made it onto jobserve etc were of the "Esperanto-speaking three-legged quadruped" variety.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Your warchest much be massive after three years. You shouldn't be sweating after three weeks.
          I wish! Wife & 2 young children, not a job between them but all very good and spending the dosh.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            refresh it at least once per week, so it looks for the agents you just started searching. (they are more likely to contact people who just posted a cv)
            Good call.

Comment

A permanent contractor through necessity, eh? Nasty. I did that for years. Eventually my company secretary could not agree with the financial reforms I wished to put in place and she had to go.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
                A permanent contractor through necessity, eh? Nasty. I did that for years. Eventually my company secretary could not agree with the financial reforms I wished to put in place and she had to go.
                Started in 1995, still skint!

Comment

Working...
                X