• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reason for leaving - help needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stit View Post
    I have observed many contractors in my team and my company. There does not seem to be significant difference in work and expectations between contractors and permies. The contracting colleagues in my team are suggesting me to start contracting.
    First and foremost to succeed as a Contractor you have to be good at what you do. Ultimately only you know if the problem is with you or the company you are currently working for (I am not commenting either way, just something for you to ponder).

Not far behind this, and without wishing to sound like a fellow graduate of NLUK from the school of hard knocks, you do have to possess a thick skin as you won't have the safety valve of an HR department or friends at work and it can be a lonely existence. From what I have read from you I get the impression it might be a problem.

Just my impression and might be wide of the mark.

To get back to your original question, depending on what sector you are in six months isn't too bad a stay and most companies don't give references so I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

I have observed many contractors in my team and my company. There does not seem to be significant difference in work and expectations between contractors and permies. The contracting colleagues in my team are suggesting me to start contracting.
      There is a difference. Though a lot of permies can't see it as it comes down to people skills.

When you are a contractor you have to get on with the management in the client organisation. The management are very likely to be completely different people culturally from you.

In some cases your output is enough to get on with them, while in other cases you have to be more of a political animal.

Knowing how to deal with the latter when client management are a bunch of tossers is the difference between you being walked off site, getting an extension or a mutual parting of ways.

I suggest you find out what issues your manager has with you and work out how you can address them. This is regardless of whether you leave or stay as you will come across her type again. There are lots of websites and books with tips on dealing with tulipty managers.

In your case it may simply be that you aren't seen as being proactive enough for the amount of experience you have. Some managers like their staff to take the initiative and point out issues to them (so they can claim the credit), while others don't want to hear of it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I suggest you find out what issues your manager has with you and work out how you can address them. This is regardless of whether you leave or stay as you will come across her type again. There are lots of websites and books with tips on dealing with tulipty managers.

In your case it may simply be that you aren't seen as being proactive enough for the amount of experience you have. Some managers like their staff to take the initiative and point out issues to them (so they can claim the credit), while others don't want to hear of it.
        Thank you SueEllen for your suggestions.

I have learnt few lessons from this experience and I will definitely be careful in future. In case I do not do well in contracting, I can switch to permanent in future. Also, to play it safe I can start with slightly lower billing rate (75% to 80% of expected billing rate).

Comment

I have learnt few lessons from this experience and I will definitely be careful in future. In case I do not do well in contracting, I can switch to permanent in future. Also, to play it safe I can start with slightly lower billing rate (75% to 80% of expected billing rate).
          Why? It won't make any difference as to whether you are kept on or not..
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Agreed with the above don't cut down on your billling rate. They will judge you purely on the ability to deliver, not the rate. No-one will keep on a contractor that messed up because he's a bit cheaper. A PM doesn't care about your rate once you're in the team. Always negotiate the highest rate you can get. No-one will pop round to your desk to appreciate the fact that you're on a lower rate.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 September 2014, 21:52.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

No you won't always be able to switch to permanent in future.

Lots of companies refuse to give contractors references so the only verification of your work dates will come from an agency. This is not always acceptable for permanent positions.

In regards to rate read what the previous two posters stated.

Now decide if you want to be a contractor or if you want to be a permanent employee.

Comment

No you won't always be able to switch to permanent in future.

Lots of companies refuse to give contractors references so the only verification of your work dates will come from an agency. This is not always acceptable for permanent positions.
                This is bit worrying me. I know few of my acquaintances who have switched to permanent but in their case company they were working told them contract would be ended but they can join as permanent.

Comment

This is bit worrying me. I know few of my acquaintances who have switched to permanent but in their case company they were working told them contract would be ended but they can join as permanent.
                  If you are worried you are clearly not skilled enough. So I would stay permanent and increase your skills both technical and soft until this doesn't worry you.

Comment

If you are worried you are clearly not skilled enough. So I would stay permanent and increase your skills both technical and soft until this doesn't worry you.
                    But, this one is giving me the courage to try it out :
                    Am I good enough for contracting.

Comment

But, this one is giving me the courage to try it out :
                      Am I good enough for contracting.
                      The contract market might have changed a little bit in the nine years since that was written. But good luck with whatever you decide to do.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X