• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate, Vat and legal position

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice fella's. I got an email back from the agent via his phone which was good of him at the weekend. He has confirmed the rate is net of VAT and he will contact the accounts dept Monday to get them to sort it out.

Next time I will make sure via writing that the rate is not inclusive of VAT, a lesson learned.
    When a man says his word is as good as his bond take his bond.

Comment

Make sure the agency also re-issues the VAT invoice to the client because regardless of whether you generate your own invoices internally for your records/bookkeeping purposes (which is good advice), from a VAT point of view the self-billing invoice is the document that matters and it has been issued incorrectly (the end client should insist on this anyway or they won't be able to recover the VAT but double-check).

I too would assume a rate quoted without mentioning VAT is ex. VAT as this is normal business practice but its never a good idea to have important things like this remain ambiguous.

Comment

Working...
      X