• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A month on the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I feel like I'm missing out - the last time my phone rang was September 2nd when the PCG tried to ring me twice but didn't leave a message. Before that it was my dentist the previous week cancelling my appointment.

Hope you charged him £20 and sent him a stern note about your time being valuable and you could be doing other things in the time he cancelled etc..
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Coincidence you should post this today. I've spoken to a number of agents over the last week and I've also notice almost zero calls and very little spam email. Two agents independently told me that the market has changed and they get almost zero results from chasing people. In both cases almost every single contractor they have been placed have been a result of an application from and advert, recommendation etc. Even they are surprised by the shift. They didn't really offer any explaination, possibly the tools are much more advanced for finding gigs, there are enough contracts out there so very few people on the bench etc but both said exactly the same thing.

It appears from what they told me the days of agents spamming roles or chasing individuals is over for the time being and the onus falls squarely to the contractor to do the leg work at the moment.

When you do speak to agents ask them about it and see if they say the same. I know agents will sprout anything they want but it did seems coincidence two said the same thing on the same day.
      I would put a lot of this down to stagnation prior to today's referendum. Many clients projects and potential future work will be determined by the result. Yes, I know there are lots of other sectors that are not dependant upon it but I would say it's a big part. Esp for financial services and many of the service industries that have call centres in Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
        I would put a lot of this down to stagnation prior to today's referendum. Many clients projects and potential future work will be determined by the result. Yes, I know there are lots of other sectors that are not dependant upon it but I would say it's a big part. Esp for financial services and many of the service industries that have call centres in Scotland.
        I have to say I find this very difficult to believe.

Maybe TF can add it to his list of when the market is quiet....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I feel like I'm missing out - the last time my phone rang was September 2nd when the PCG tried to ring me twice but didn't leave a message. Before that it was my dentist the previous week cancelling my appointment.

PM me your number.

Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
            I find it difficult to comprehend the panic in not finding a gig after four weeks. I believe the OP also started a similar thread two weeks ago having been 'in between' for a whole fortnight.

Obviously I don't know your personal circumstances but surely you have some kind of warchest after having only one week off between gigs in twelve years? If I'd worked that consistently since 2002 I'd be looking at retirement!
            Yep, that was my thread, was also asked about war chest in that one to which I replied "wife & 2 kids". In reality, I can't blame them, ploughed thousands per year into several Plan B failures. The time off is not my main concern, it's more that it seems to have gone very quiet lately - just bad timing.
            You ain't seen me, right!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It appears from what they told me the days of agents spamming roles or chasing individuals is over for the time being and the onus falls squarely to the contractor to do the leg work at the moment..
              Things defo seem different to me, even the downturns of 00 and 03 seemed more lively than this.
              You ain't seen me, right!

Comment

I am too on the same boat not sure if bank's have turn there back on contractor and like perm's or is it Scottish election whatever it is hope some thing changes after today's elections...........

Comment

Yet I have been hiring x5 and letting a couple go over the last 2 months and am amazed at the amount of pants CVs out there.

The desperados and liars are easy to spot.

Comment

Originally posted by dack View Post
                    Yep, that was my thread, was also asked about war chest in that one to which I replied "wife & 2 kids". In reality, I can't blame them, ploughed thousands per year into several Plan B failures. The time off is not my main concern, it's more that it seems to have gone very quiet lately - just bad timing.
                    If I knew where to turn for a successful Plan B then I'd be doing it tomorrow. I have the money but not the idea(s). Good for you for at least giving things a go.

Comment

Originally posted by dack View Post
                      Wife & 4 kids, 4 years contracting, 12 month war chest. Get a grip man!

Comment

Working...
                      X