• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A month on the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am working in the same area, with the same skillset ( c#/web dev ect ) benched for 4 months from may. Literally just started a new contract over in Taunton which although isnt ideal due to Capita getting in the way was a god send with TheLordDave jnr arriving last month.

South wales either seems to be booming for roles, or absolutely dead. Never seems to be a constant drip of roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
      Wife & 4 kids, 4 years contracting, 12 month war chest. Get a grip man!
      Good for you.
      You ain't seen me, right!

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
        Yet I have been hiring x5 and letting a couple go over the last 2 months and am amazed at the amount of pants CVs out there.

The desperados and liars are easy to spot.
        Unfortunately, the agents aren't very good at it though.

Comment

Originally posted by dack View Post
          Never had more than a week off between gigs for over 12 years so a bit lost what to do next. Is there any mileage in actively sending my CV off to select agencies, or even approaching clients directly? Or should I just suck it up, sit tight and enjoy the delights of daytime telly?
          The typical contractor mentality is to seek opportunities mainly by checking and reacting to adverts posted on job boards. However, with 12 years of contracting experience you should have a list of several clients you've done work for in the past. Why don't you try networking your way in to a contract by getting in touch with previous clients and asking if they've got anything suitable in their pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by rambaugh View Post
            The typical contractor mentality is to seek opportunities mainly by checking and reacting to adverts posted on job boards. However, with 12 years of contracting experience you should have a list of several clients you've done work for in the past. Why don't you try networking your way in to a contract by getting in touch with previous clients and asking if they've got anything suitable in their pipeline.
            This, and even better than that keep in touch regularly with a note about changes to their linked in, grats on job changes, anniversary's. Anything to keep you in mind and have them come to you.

If you are off use the time to pop in to old clients for a coffee with ex hiring managers you got on with etc. Most can't be arsed but once in a while you will find a contact that is happy to have a coffee every so often.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rambaugh View Post
              Been at it almost 20 years, moved to Wales (from Newcastle) in 2000, and 6 clients since then but yes, have prodded them all. A repeat client on the CV does look good.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                This, and even better than that keep in touch regularly with a note about changes to their linked in, grats on job changes, anniversary's. Anything to keep you in mind and have them come to you.
                Well if I've learned anything over the last few weeks (aside the joys of PluralSight) is that LinkedIn does appear to be the professional network it always wanted to be.

I agree with your point exactly, people are more inclined to do business with people they like and it's hard to like someone you don't know.

Small but regular contact through LinkedIn seem to be a good strategy for networking.

Comment

Never had more than a week off between gigs for over 12 years
                  You're due a rest then. And you've beaten the odds, maybe they're just catching up a bit for all the bench time you never had!
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    You're due a rest then. And you've beaten the odds, maybe they're just catching up a bit for all the bench time you never had!
                    That's what I keep telling the wife

Comment

That's what I keep telling the wife
                      I know someone has poked a bit of fun at you and I appreciate you have a situation at home that is very difficult to manage but looking at your history you really shouldn't be worrying about a month and even much longer on the bench. I do genuinely think you need to think hard about your warchest. It's not inconceivable going forward you are going to spend a month on the bench every three months and if things are as tight as they seem you are going to have an extremely difficult time with little options.

Hope you don't mind me saying.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X