• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I restricting myself too much if I can only contract in London?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    I'm not a techie so I'm not 100% sure if I am comparing like with like, but I have found it next to impossible to break into financial services because I don't have FS experience. I've worked in almost every other major industry sector apart from energy and utilities so have very broad and deep experience and can adapt to almost anything but FS is an exception. I did manage to get an interview recently for a large insurance broking firm but that was mainly down to the agent who knew me very well and persuaded the client I was worth talking to.

I think you might struggle to find work in the Kent region, Surrey is a much better bet. Many of the larger non-FS companies in approximately the M25 region tend to be on the western side of London - think of a segment running from Hatfield to Luton, Slough, Woking, Kingston and Hammersmith. SABMiller, GSK, Sky, Diageo, Unilever, Tesco, Whitbread, TUI Travel, Easyjet, British Airways and Dixons Carphone are just a few of the FTSE100 companies in that area I can think of off the top of my head.
    Add EE, O2, 3 to the list. Infrastructure projects aplenty with big media (SKY) and Telecoms industry. The two industries I primarily contract within. BBC takes in contract PM's as well for some key projects !

Comment

Working...
    X