• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immediate Termination from Client without serving Notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like the OP just wanted to be the 'big I am' and didnt negotiate with the client. I find it a tad funny really that he tried it on, got canned and now is unhappy about it.

Its not clear if the OP is new to contracting or not but, he clearly seems to believe that because he's no longer a permie and now a business, he or his business can do what it wants. Yes, it can but only to a degree.

Being a business doesnt mean just flouncing off when you like at anytime you want. Hopefully lesson learnt.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Sounds like the OP just wanted to be the 'big I am' and didnt negotiate with the client. I find it a tad funny really that he tried it on, got canned and now is unhappy about it.

Its not clear if the OP is new to contracting or not but, he clearly seems to believe that because he's no longer a permie and now a business, he or his business can do what it wants. Yes, it can but only to a degree.

Being a business doesnt mean just flouncing off when you like at anytime you want. Hopefully lesson learnt.
      Yes, lesson learnt ! Difinitely !

But still trying to figure out how could i have avoided this..
      Last edited by muds; 7 October 2014, 09:27.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Why didn't you use RoS?
        What is RoS ? sorry, i didnt understand this one ?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Then he should have told the client it was an emergency not "I am taking two days leave".
          Apology accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by muds View Post

In regards to my first reply not being helpful other posters have kindly explained it to you.

How to avoid it? Easy.

If you have a genuine emergency then the majority of clients wouldn't have an issue with you taking of as much time as you need. However when genuine emergencies arise they tend to happen with no notice. It's not uncommon to find someone leaving the workplace because a family member has had an accident or child is sick. They don't have an idea if the person is seriously ill so don't know if they will be away for one day or one year, and whether they will have to give up the contract.

Where you have other personal issues then you just tell the client as and when you know that you need the time off, and try to be flexible around it. So if you need a doctor's appointment next week due to some test results you tell the client that and try if possible to agree a day that would cause the least disruption. If your wife is going to give birth then you tell your client as much in advance as possible when the due date is and how much time you are taking off. In the latter cases if the client is completely inflexible then you know not to renew.

If you are going on holiday for over a week plan it for the end of your contract. So if you renew the renew date is likely to be after you come back from holiday. If your holiday is a few days then talk to the client first, find out when you can take the 2-5 days off without impacting their business then book the holiday.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Right of substitution

The client employs your company not you personally, so you can get another employee in or a subcontractor in to cover your work if you aren't in.

The substitutes I've seen tend to be family members i.e. husbands covering wives, or contractors the client knows already.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                In regards to my first reply not being helpful other posters have kindly explained it to you.

How to avoid it? Easy.

If you have a genuine emergency then the majority of clients wouldn't have an issue with you taking of as much time as you need. However when genuine emergencies arise they tend to happen with no notice. It's not uncommon to find someone leaving the workplace because a family member has had an accident or child is sick. They don't have an idea if the person is seriously ill so don't know if they will be away for one day or one year, and whether they will have to give up the contract.

Where you have other personal issues then you just tell the client as and when you know that you need the time off, and try to be flexible around it. So if you need a doctor's appointment next week due to some test results you tell the client that and try if possible to agree a day that would cause the least disruption. If your wife is going to give birth then you tell your client as much in advance as possible when the due date is and how much time you are taking off. In the latter cases if the client is completely inflexible then you know not to renew.

If you are going on holiday for over a week plan it for the end of your contract. So if you renew the renew date is likely to be after you come back from holiday. If your holiday is a few days then talk to the client first, find out when you can take the 2-5 days off without impacting their business then book the holiday.
                Hey Sue, sorry for my last post asking you to be helpful.

I understand that i should have given them a few days notice atleast. But what i was able to accept was the fact that this could happen oike this.

I still cant believe this happened really. Last contract in 2 years i took 12 weeks off all vacations and no one seemed to have any problem with it. Looks like they spoilt me.

Can anyone of you tell me (as per IT market) will this be a big -ve on my profile when my next client does refrencing ?

Whats the best way to come out of it ?

Comment

1. Try to give as much notice as you can.
                  2. Pick the words you use when informing the client extremely carefully
                  3. If the main reason for your unavailability is that you are going to be away and you are not going to be busy all the time, offer to work remotely at least part time. (i have done that)
                  4. Offer to work longer hours the days before/after you are off if there are tight deadlines and the nature of work permits it, you can even go the extra mile and offer to do this for free. (i have done that)
                  Rights of Substitution, this should be in your contract allowing YourCo to offer to the client another Contractor in your place. This will most likely not gonna fly but you can try.

Edit:
                  ..I understand that i should have given them a few days notice atleast. But what i was able to accept was the fact that this could happen oike this.
                  Welcome to contracting. From now on you know that the client can use a myriad of tools and contract wording to get rid of a contractor without notice and no liability. That's one of the big pluses of using contractors from a client perspective.
                  I still cant believe this happened really. Last contract in 2 years i took 12 weeks off all vacations and no one seemed to have any problem with it. Looks like they spoilt me.
                  Were they all planed or did you bugger off with little notice like this time? Most clients are happy of contractors taking planned vacations if there are no deadlines involved as this saves them money.
                  Can anyone of you tell me (as per IT market) will this be a big -ve on my profile when my next client does refrencing ?
                  Whats the best way to come out of it ?
                  Only your future client can answer this, not everyone is doing thorough references check. And depends on what your last client tells them. From my experience references saying the someone took 2 days leave with little/no notice impacting deadlines and this only 4 weeks after starting the contract is a big minus.
                  Last edited by sal; 7 October 2014, 10:08.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    1. Try to give as much notice as you can.
                    2. Pick the words you use when informing the client extremely carefully
                    3. If the main reason for your unavailability is that you are going to be away and you are not going to be busy all the time, offer to work remotely at least part time. (i have done that)
                    4. Offer to work longer hours the days before/after you are off if there are tight deadlines and the nature of work permits it, you can even go the extra mile and offer to do this for free. (i have done that)

Rights of Substitution, this should be in your contract allowing YourCo to offer to the client another Contractor in your place. This will most likely not gonna fly but you can try.
                    I think I could have asked them for substitute or could have negotiated a little, but all this happened so suddenly and I actually couldnt understand that why have they taken such a drastic step leaving me with no scope of negotiation.

Comment

I think I could have asked them for substitute or could have negotiated a little, but all this happened so suddenly and I actually couldnt understand that why have they taken such a drastic step leaving me with no scope of negotiation.
                      By taking holiday at little to no notice you left than with nothing to negotiate so they went for the easiest option for them (find someone else)..
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X