Supplier for contractors - Additional insurance? Paperwork? Supplier for contractors - Additional insurance? Paperwork?
Posts 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    51

    Default Supplier for contractors - Additional insurance? Paperwork?

    Hi guys,

    I have been running my own limited company, with me as the contractor.

    My client is looking for a new hire, I could potentially supply them with another contractor via my limited company.

    My questions are:

    1) Would I need anything else apart from having a limited company?
    I currently have both professional indemnity insurance and public liability.

    2) I presume there is no other difference for my limited company to supply one (ie, me) resource, vs 2 resources, from legal perspective?

    3) Anything else I'd need?

    Thanks guys

  2. #2

    Super poster

    Batcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    What did your accountant say when you asked them?

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,718

    Default

    First off you don't mention how you are engaged with the client. Are you direct or via an agency. It makes a huge different to all of this. If you are through an agency there is probably a PSL in place so you will not be able to supply direct.

    There are a ton of other things to mention such as the fact you are responsible for this contractor and so on but let's get the basics out of the way first and understand your engagement.

    99 times out of 100 this type of thing just isn't worth it but if you need some advice lets get some basic facts first.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #4

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    First off you don't mention how you are engaged with the client. Are you direct or via an agency. It makes a huge different to all of this. If you are through an agency there is probably a PSL in place so you will not be able to supply direct.

    There are a ton of other things to mention such as the fact you are responsible for this contractor and so on but let's get the basics out of the way first and understand your engagement.

    99 times out of 100 this type of thing just isn't worth it but if you need some advice lets get some basic facts first.
    I am direct with the client via my limited company.
    There is an PSL, but I think they are a little desperate as it is a very rare skillset they are after, so they are happy with go around that.

    What else should I be aware of?

  5. #5

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panadol View Post
    What else should I be aware of?
    How are you planning on engaging them - as a supplier or an employee?

    If it's as a supplier, then you need to consider your VAT position if you are using the flat rate scheme; if it's as an employee then you need to look at the legal implications of that route.

    It's been asked before - have a search around and see what the recommendations in the past have been. I can't imagine that the advice given in the past has changed drastically.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  6. #6

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    How are you planning on engaging them - as a supplier or an employee?

    If it's as a supplier, then you need to consider your VAT position if you are using the flat rate scheme; if it's as an employee then you need to look at the legal implications of that route.

    It's been asked before - have a search around and see what the recommendations in the past have been. I can't imagine that the advice given in the past has changed drastically.
    Thanks mate.
    Will engage him as a a supplier.
    ie, I will be acting as an agency in a way.

    um..interesting about VAT. Will speak to accountant about it.

    Another other legal side I should look into ?

    Had a search already, but didn't find too much specific info, let me dig deeper. Thanks.

  7. #7

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Sausage Surprise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Trap 2
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    First off you don't mention how you are engaged with the client. Are you direct or via an agency. It makes a huge different to all of this. If you are through an agency there is probably a PSL in place so you will not be able to supply direct.

    There are a ton of other things to mention such as the fact you are responsible for this contractor and so on but let's get the basics out of the way first and understand your engagement.

    99 times out of 100 this type of thing just isn't worth it but if you need some advice lets get some basic facts first.

    This! I did it for a mate for 3 months before he went permie and the extra paperwork/responsibility was a right PITA.
    Blood in your poo

  8. #8

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near London, UK
    Posts
    4,129

    Default

    Even if subcontracting, check if you'll need employers liability insurance too. Ask your accountant or if you're an IPSE member their legal hotline should be able to advise. It's not expensive.

    As mentioned above if said contractor is VAT registered you won't be able to recover the input VAT so it will eat into your profit margin, assuming you are adding a margin on top.

  9. #9

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,718

    Default

    What do you expect to make from this arrangement? a couple of 10's of pounds extra a day? It looks tempting but generally it's just not worth it. You are responsible for his actions which may reflect on you if it all goes wrong, plus management of him. The client may not be too pleased if you have to spend time managing him when you should be working etc. If the contractor comes in and bails early then again it falls on you.

    Why not just put him forward to the client as a gesture of goodwill or a referral fee instead?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  10. #10

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panadol View Post
    Thanks mate.
    Will engage him as a a supplier.
    ie, I will be acting as an agency in a way.

    um..interesting about VAT. Will speak to accountant about it.

    Another other legal side I should look into ?

    Had a search already, but didn't find too much specific info, let me dig deeper. Thanks.
    If you want to act as an agency this: The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •