• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Request for help from documentary filmmaker: self-employment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    The vast, vast majority of people here aren't self-employed - they operate either via an umbrella company as a PAYE employee, or they run their own limited company. There will be some people here who are self-employed, but I wouldn't put that number at more than a handful.

As far as those who operate via agencies, the CUK audience tend not to look for "irregular work" or worry about their pay and conditions (apart from a few I can think of). The agencies used by contractors here are usually an intermediary used by the client to find a highly skilled resource that the client does not have (or want) in-house.

You might be better off asking the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed (Home | IPSE) for pointers - they represent the 4.5 million self-employed workers in the UK, so should be able to help you out.

Good luck - let us know when it's on TV
    WHS, plus

Originally posted by HannahL View Post
    snip
    I’m particularly interested in talking to people who feel that they had little option but to become self-employed, people who were recently unemployed, and people concerned about their pay and conditions as a self-employed worker.
    snip
    Most (if not all) of the contractors frequenting this forum are working in this manner as a preferred, not last option. So yeah, totally wrong place to ask for guinea pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
      Is that a breakaway faction of the PCG?
      Splitters!
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Isn't this a question of semantics for the purposes of this lady's film?

We're all pretty much self employed when it comes down to it.
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          Isn't this a question of semantics for the purposes of this lady's film?

We're all pretty much self employed when it comes down to it.
          No, we're not. Aside from the differences between operating as a sole trader versus a Ltd company (which you can argue are semantic for the purposes of this discussion), there are fundamental differences between the workforce from which the OP is seeking input (low paid, zero-hours contracts, told what to do, forced into "self-employment") versus the average punter around here (very highly paid, contractual flexibility, no direction and control from the client, made the choice to work as a contractor). Semantics aside, we're talking about two fundamentally different groups of people.

Comment

Originally posted by HannahL View Post
            I’m a wannabe journalist working on a TV documentary about the changing use of the English language in the UK.

I'd hope initially to have a confidential conservation with you...
            Green party?
            Clarity is everything

Comment

I think this is an indication of a common problem - people don't seem to get that there is a massive difference between temps/self-employed and contractors. We have been criticised as an industry (umbrella companies that is) of 'exploiting low paid workers' but our employees earn an average of £350.00 per day and work maybe 40 weeks per year through choice

To the OP - perhaps this is something that you could add into your piece to raise awareness?? Legislation has been introduced over the years that's intended to protect low paid workers but actually often impacts negatively on professional contractors who enjoy the freedoms that their work choices offer and don't want the restraints of employment.
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

True Lisa.

Maybe it would also make the piece different from all the usual journalistic work which either identifies the plight of the downtrodden zero hours people (which is pretty dire) or the tax exploitation of contractors using weird schemes.

Some compare and contrast between those on exploitation "self employment" and professional contractors might even open a few eyes and god forbid a few minds.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  True Lisa.

Maybe it would also make the piece different from all the usual journalistic work which either identifies the plight of the downtrodden zero hours people (which is pretty dire) or the tax exploitation of contractors using weird schemes.

Some compare and contrast between those on exploitation "self employment" and professional contractors might even open a few eyes and god forbid a few minds.
                  Yep I agree - wonder if we could open HMRC's mind?? Oh no sorry forget that I don't know what came over me
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Yep I agree - wonder if we could open HMRC's mind?? Oh no sorry forget that I don't know what came over me
                    An axe or chainsaw might be a good starting point
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      An axe or chainsaw might be a good starting point
                      I'd start with an electron microscope, there are times when it's clear they're totally mindless.

Comment

Working...
                      X