• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You really want a piece of London/Banking ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    There are exceptions. There will always be exceptions but as its my local market I do know the usual going rate....
    There are some well paid contracts up north, you just need the right skill set

I can understand why "someone" said that IB's are a closed shop, I have found that there is still the appearance that you can't get a job in Finance without Finance experience so it is a vicious circle.

For my role, having industry knowledge has zero impact on my day to day working, I know if I eventually keep trying for London jobs I will get one and thus the extra £100-£200 a day bump that will come with it, but as I am not focused just on London its no big deal that I haven't managed to crack it yet.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Shut your mouth and look at my wad, LOADS OF MONEY

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        There are some well paid contracts up north, you just need the right skill set

I can understand why "someone" said that IB's are a closed shop, I have found that there is still the appearance that you can't get a job in Finance without Finance experience so it is a vicious circle.

For my role, having industry knowledge has zero impact on my day to day working, I know if I eventually keep trying for London jobs I will get one and thus the extra £100-£200 a day bump that will come with it, but as I am not focused just on London its no big deal that I haven't managed to crack it yet.
        I think this is the case as well in IB, and other areas in banking and even insurance are becoming this way as well from what I am seeing.

Comment

IB is a shrinking sector so they might as well take people on who are familiar with those types of systems, because there's a lot of experienced people around.

It doesn't matter what sector it is, if you have experience in it you'll be generally better, because you know how risk systems work and how to create P&L etc etc. which is what most of the dev jobs are about. They often ask business questions. You're going to flounder if you know nothing about finance when some trader is shouting at you to sort out his P&L.

There was a time when IB's weren't fussy as long as you were technically good enough.

There are technical jobs but an awful lot of the dev jobs are easier to do if you understand the "banking gubbins".
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
          X