• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MMR - Getting a mortgage whilst on the bench?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    I got a mortgage earlier this year and I think once all the paperwork was in it took about 6 weeks.
    For me, in 2013 I have about 2 months on the bench and in the 2014, I have had, maybe 3 months on the bench, max. It seems to be based on luck rather any sinister doing on my side. After all, we are temporary workers and in London there is a plenty of competition for contract work around £400-500 per day mark. This is what I found in October and November down here.

My situation and experience has certainly changed my thinking around umbrella companies versus limited companies. I will certainly re-evaluate the pros and cons of both in 2015! Based of the new MMR it sounds like it is slightly better to be LTD and have 2-3 year of accounts and make sure you earn a lot of cash in the gigs; and also pay your self a decent wage. What has shocked me is the requirement: "You must be in 12 months continuous engagement/contract/employment before you can apply" or "You have to wait 6 months in contract; then you get a renewal for another 6 months; before this mortgage lender will even consider your mortgage application". Statements like that are of concern.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
      I accepted the offer of a 6 month contract, yesterday. The legal contract between my umbrella company, the recruitment agency and the client is currently being drawn up today.

I currently live in the South East.

I spoke to Simon yesterday morning on the phone after I got and accepted the job offer.
      Hi,

Their lending area can be seen here: https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/Di...ermediaries-1/ (This has been extended to include Peterborough, MK etc in the last week, funnily enough!).

The big issue will be the recent gap, as discussed previously. Let me find out their approach on this and come back to you.

Comment

Hello All

For people out there who are wondering about contract mortgages and searching this forum, let me answer my own thread and put an end of this story.

Thanks to a certain good fellow, Mr. Ashley Wardle, Power Mortgages UK, Southampton, I have able to eventually obtain a contractor mortgage. The 2 year mortgage offer I received from the bank lender was very reasonable. I also have added Life Cover and Critical Illness Cover to insure my family for the future.

I had to find my current contract gig first, which I started mid-December last year and ensure that the contract length was at least 3 months. (I remember that I knocked back several phone calls about contracts working up to Xmas 2014. WTF?!) My current contract is 6 months long, which is long enough to be "annualised" and it helped that the gig was in the financial sector.

My family eventually moved house out of London in early February and we had already found our next place and put an offer on it. The first offer in September eventually lapsed, because I was in the bench. As soon as I won the current contract in December, I re-offered and the vendors, thanks to be their kind goodness, re-accepted. Luckily, they were in the process of taking the house off the market for Christmas and New Year and had rejected ridiculous offers from other people. I soon as my offer was accepted, I went back to the contractor mortgage firms. I was beginning to lose hope, but I found one helpful company...

Our new house is lovely in a new town, access to countryside, calm and green environment and good community of people. We are making our house a home slowly but surely and it would not have been possible without Power Mortgages UK Ltd. They came through for me and my family. I definitely recommend them to other contractors thinking of moving. Yes, you can survive MMR as a contractor and find the good life!

Finally, here is my advice:

1) Make your sure contract situation is stable. (You need to be currently working a contract 3-6 months to cover your time moving house for example).

2) Make sure you only put on offer on a new house when you are working gig . If your current contract is about to an end and you will be on the bench for uncertain time, then forget about it!

3) Ensure that you have electronic and/or paper legal contract agreements of all your last 2 to 3 years of contracts engagements, which are counter signed witnessed by you (and/or your umbrella company) and the client.

Fin

All the best.

For me, in 2013 I have about 2 months on the bench and in the 2014, I have had, maybe 3 months on the bench, max. It seems to be based on luck rather any sinister doing on my side. After all, we are temporary workers and in London there is a plenty of competition for contract work around £400-500 per day mark. This is what I found in October and November down here.

My situation and experience has certainly changed my thinking around umbrella companies versus limited companies. I will certainly re-evaluate the pros and cons of both in 2015! Based of the new MMR it sounds like it is slightly better to be LTD and have 2-3 year of accounts and make sure you earn a lot of cash in the gigs; and also pay your self a decent wage. What has shocked me is the requirement: "You must be in 12 months continuous engagement/contract/employment before you can apply" or "You have to wait 6 months in contract; then you get a renewal for another 6 months; before this mortgage lender will even consider your mortgage application". Statements like that are of concern.

Comment

Hello All

For people out there who are wondering about contract mortgages and searching this forum, let me answer my own thread and put an end of this story.

Thanks to a certain good fellow, Mr. Ashley Wardle, Power Mortgages UK, Southampton, I have able to eventually obtain a contractor mortgage. The 2 year mortgage offer I received from the bank lender was very reasonable. I also have added Life Cover and Critical Illness Cover to insure my family for the future.

I had to find my current contract gig first, which I started mid-December last year and ensure that the contract length was at least 3 months. (I remember that I knocked back several phone calls about contracts working up to Xmas 2014. WTF?!) My current contract is 6 months long, which is long enough to be "annualised" and it helped that the gig was in the financial sector.

My family eventually moved house out of London in early February and we had already found our next place and put an offer on it. The first offer in September eventually lapsed, because I was in the bench. As soon as I won the current contract in December, I re-offered and the vendors, thanks to be their kind goodness, re-accepted. Luckily, they were in the process of taking the house off the market for Christmas and New Year and had rejected ridiculous offers from other people. I soon as my offer was accepted, I went back to the contractor mortgage firms. I was beginning to lose hope, but I found one helpful company...

Our new house is lovely in a new town, access to countryside, calm and green environment and good community of people. We are making our house a home slowly but surely and it would not have been possible without Power Mortgages UK Ltd. They came through for me and my family. I definitely recommend them to other contractors thinking of moving. Yes, you can survive MMR as a contractor and find the good life!

Finally, here is my advice:

1) Make your sure contract situation is stable. (You need to be currently working a contract 3-6 months to cover your time moving house for example).

2) Make sure you only put on offer on a new house when you are working gig . If your current contract is about to an end and you will be on the bench for uncertain time, then forget about it!

3) Ensure that you have electronic and/or paper legal contract agreements of all your last 2 to 3 years of contracts engagements, which are counter signed witnessed by you (and/or your umbrella company) and the client.

Fin

All the best.

Comment

Good news - did the gap in work turn out to be less than you originally thought then?

Pleased that you got this sorted.

Comment

I'm happy for you, but why would you use an Umbrella company?

Comment

Strange, different things for different people I guess, but I found Power Mortgages totally useless, but I'm glad you got it sorted in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by AvsFan View Post
                  Strange, different things for different people I guess, but I found Power Mortgages totally useless, but I'm glad you got it sorted in the end.
                  Hi AvsFan,

Sorry to hear you did not find our service useful. Could I ask you to PM me with the name of the advisor you spoke to and why you felt the service was not as expected? We pride ourselves on providing a high level of customer service which is evident by the general level of positive feedback we have on here but I would be keen to find out where we evidently seem to have gone wrong with your enquiry so we can rectify any potential training needs.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X