• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long term contract with no PO

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term contract with no PO

Hi all, I am a contractor who has been working for a large establishment for over 8 years to undertake weekly servicing of systems. Since 2006 I have never received a purchase order but when invoiced (quarterly) they always pay on time with no issues, I have been loyal to them and only take one week off for holidays per year (unpaid).
    The problem is that I have found out from one of their employees that they are considering ceasing to employ me due to financial cuts. So I was wondering if I had any legal rights?

No. You have no rights. Does Orange have any rights if you decide to not use your mobile phone any more?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by jasp View Post
      Hi all, I am a contractor who has been working for a large establishment for over 8 years to undertake weekly servicing of systems. Since 2006 I have never received a purchase order but when invoiced (quarterly) they always pay on time with no issues, I have been loyal to them and only take one week off for holidays per year (unpaid).
      The problem is that I have found out from one of their employees that they are considering ceasing to employ me due to financial cuts. So I was wondering if I had any legal rights?
      They've never employed you, therefore no, probably not.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Ive no sympathy for any contractor in the OP's position.

They want it both ways ie contracting rate of pay and employment rights. Well, no, it doesnt happen unless you're going to spend a large portion of those 8 year contracting income and fight a claim for employee rights.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I think someone has been there too long and is forgetting what he is. Although there isn't much detail what there is sounds to me like the OP is in exactly the same situation as two fairly high profile cases.

First off is the JLJ case where he started off a contractor and then became part and parcel of the client so partially lost his case which cost him alot!!
          IT contractor JLJ in first ever 'split IR35 case' :: Contractor UK

The other is Hewlett Packard Ltd v O'Murphy [2002] IRLR 4 EAT where the contractor tried to claim unfair dismissal.
          Individual contractors left out in the cold

IMO for all intensive purposes you are employed and if you haven't been paying the right taxes then you should be hung out to dry for it. Clear case of MoO, D&C, part and parcel etc. Even the damn contractor thinks he is employed fer christ sakes.

P.s It ******* ticks me right off when a contractor has his cake for 8 years and then starts crying about his legal rights. HMRC should come in and nail his ass to the wall IMO.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OP, could you PM me your email address and linkedin URL and I can give you more specifics on both cases
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I think someone has been there too long and is forgetting what he is. Although there isn't much detail what there is sounds to me like the OP is in exactly the same situation as two fairly high profile cases.

First off is the JLJ case where he started off a contractor and then became part and parcel of the client so partially lost his case which cost him alot!!

The other is Hewlett Packard Ltd v O'Murphy [2002] IRLR 4 EAT where the contractor tried to claim unfair dismissal.

IMO for all intensive purposes you are employed and if you haven't been paying the right taxes then you should be hung out to dry for it. Clear case of MoO, D&C, part and parcel etc. Even the damn contractor thinks he is employed fer christ sakes.

P.s It ******* ticks me right off when a contractor has his cake for 8 years and then starts crying about his legal rights. HMRC should come in and nail his ass to the wall IMO.
              Of course it's important for the OP to bear in mind the different burdens of proof in those cases, and that winning one doesn't automatically mean losing the other.

It's probably best for him to take you up on your generous offer and send you his email and linked in details so you can provide the information.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

OP, could you PM me your email address and linkedin URL and I can give you more specifics on both cases
                Too much of a hasle, better to create new sockie, this one's cover is blown already.

Comment

Really? Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
                    Really? Grammar
                    My purposes are generally non-intensive, esp. on a Friday.

Comment

Working...
                    X