• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Attending interviews while on contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Either explain that you won't be available at a specific time on a specific day, or don't go to interviews until your contract has finished.

It's really not difficult. Continuity of contracts is nice to have, but not to be expected.
    +1 to this.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Normally on contracts I manage my own time, therefore I can plan to attend interviews.

I always look for new roles when a gig is coming to its natural end at least 4-6 weeks before it ends. I don't like unplanned down time.

Comment

Originally posted by acnm View Post
        I'm pretty much the oldest one in the office. I get the feeling that the younger managers are all on a bit of a power trip - that and the fact that I seriously more experience than any of them. Given their role / status i'm often surprised at how little they know.
        Say you need to come in late or go early to pick up your new Porsche

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
          Say you need to come in late or go early to pick up your new Porsche
          Great answer 😋
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I don't look for other contracts when I'm already in one.
            so when you know your contract is coming to a definite end you dont look? pull the other one

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
              so when you know your contract is coming to a definite end you dont look? pull the other one
              If you choose not to believe that, then that's up to you.

I once had an agent approach me near the end of a contract and I had an interview at lunch time and got the gig, but I have never looked for a new contract when I am in contract - generally because many of my clients haven't known until late whether they would be looking to extend or not.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I don't bother. I actually like a little time off at the end of a contract.

...except when it turns into 2 months bench time

Comment

Nothing says "professional" like lying to your client when they know where you are going
                  So you tell them your off on interviews then, do you?
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    So you tell them your off on interviews then, do you?
                    I refer you to the response I gave some moments ago:

I don't look for other contracts when I'm already in one.

If I had to have an interview, then I would do it at lunchtime, after work, or before work in the morning. If your prospective client cannot accommodate that, and your current client is insisting that your company provides services on the dates and times that they are contracted to provide them, then you need to find a way to do that.
                    If you genuinely believe that lying to your clients is the sensible course of action, particularly when you've said "I need time off for an interview" and been told no, then I pity your operating model and your clients.

There are always things you can do without needing to resort to such stupidity.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X