• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How far would you travel for a gig?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done some pretty horrendous travel over the years but my latest gig has been really close to home - 20 mins cycle ride.

My contract expires at the end of December and while they are talking about extending I have nothing in writing. So I've been putting the feelers out and had some good response. One gig that I could very well get an offer on is around an hour away by car on a good day, possibly 1.5 hours each way if there's traffic.

The pros are that the rate is 25% greater than I am on now, plus it's a company I'd quite like to work for. It's a 6 month gig.

The cons are that I would need to buy a car (easily covered by the extra pay), but there's that potential 3 hours a day commute.

Current gig is 'ok' but I'm bored as hell and imagine I will only get written confirmation the week before I am due to leave.

Considering all the roadworks in Manchester at the moment and the fact that my 8 mile commute now takes upwards of 90 minutes, I'd love to find a contract that involves working from home four days a week!

Between the motorway upgrades, the railway/tramline upgrades and the sewer upgrades, I have to contend with two diversions and shedloads of traffic overflowing onto the back streets. Might take a week off and do my full bike test, at least I can then filter through the traffic...
    • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
    • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by acnm View Post
      Furthest was 6662 miles.

Nearest was WFH.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
        Considering all the roadworks in Manchester at the moment and the fact that my 8 mile commute now takes upwards of 90 minutes, I'd love to find a contract that involves working from home four days a week!

Between the motorway upgrades, the railway/tramline upgrades and the sewer upgrades, I have to contend with two diversions and shedloads of traffic overflowing onto the back streets. Might take a week off and do my full bike test, at least I can then filter through the traffic...
        The motorway upgrades will be done by 2017, assuming they are on time, so just a little while longer to wait.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

TBH travel in the UK is a nightmare - someone somewhere should be thoroughly ashamed of the cr@p that is the uk road and rail network.

This is why I lived and worked overseas for years. Unfortunately the recession brought me back.

Would seriously prefer not to buy a car then haemorrhage cash on tax, fuel, insurance, parking etc

Comment

90 mins door to door each way every day for the last 4 years. Its not that bad

Comment

Furthest for me 680 miles. Current contract is the closest ever - 40 miles or 40 minutes by train. I will never get anything on my doorstep unless I move to one of the large conurbations so I am happy with anything < 90 minutes with WFH thrown in for at least 1 day.
              I'd give my right dick to be normal.....

Comment

Originally posted by acnm View Post

Would seriously prefer not to buy a car then haemorrhage cash on tax, fuel, insurance, parking etc
                Need to change your thinking IMO. You are a flexible resource to multiple clients where ever they are so a car is part of your ability to deliver. You can also claim mileage to go towards covering all those costs.

What you can't get over is your social choice not to own a car IMO.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Its not the distance, its the time.
                  2 hours plus or minus 10 mins each way on this contract. 2 hours has always been my red line so I've now given in to 1 night hotel each week.

Comment

I can't imagine doing more than an hour if it was a daily commute, unless it was an easy route on a not-too-crowded train.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X