• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client dictating hours

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client dictating hours

New client for me. At interview they mentioned 1 week in 5 early (730) or late (1000). Fair enough up front with that.

Not ideal for IR35 but hey ho it is what it is.

What I did expect was flexibility for the other days. i.e. work hours I wanted as long as I was around for meetings etc/ other events.

So I started doing 8-4ish which seemed fair enough to me. No issues. Client has now kicked off saying they expect me to be here 9-5 minimum.

Never had this before. Doesnt seem to be any reason for their attitude either.

Not great for D&C re: IR35 I guess...

Anyone else had this? What to do?

Play nice or say tough I aint doing it?

Forget IR35 issues. If you ever get investigated you just say you adhering to the same hours as permies as part of professional courtesy. At worst it's a very minor pointer. Nothing wrong with asking a supplier to work the same hours so as not to alienate himself and avoid the locals complaining.

Has he actually kicked off or has just politely advised he would rather you worked those hours. Can't see why they would kick off before a polite bit of advice.

Question I would ask is how much effort would it be for you to meet his expectations and how much do you want the contract. Not hard to work out what to do after answering those two IMO and it's only a decision you can make.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
      New client for me. At interview they mentioned 1 week in 5 early (730) or late (1000). Fair enough up front with that.

Not ideal for IR35 but hey ho it is what it is.

What I did expect was flexibility for the other days. i.e. work hours I wanted as long as I was around for meetings etc/ other events.

So I started doing 8-4ish which seemed fair enough to me. No issues. Client has now kicked off saying they expect me to be here 9-5 minimum.

Never had this before. Doesnt seem to be any reason for their attitude either.

Not great for D&C re: IR35 I guess...

Anyone else had this? What to do?

Play nice or say tough I aint doing it?
      Work 9-5 then! These are normal office hours, why would you expect anything different? The problem others have with 8-4 is that you're not around after 4pm when they may need to speak to you.

Comment

If i get the hint that a client expects me to be around for no reason, I just say that I normally work X til Y.

If, on occasion, the 5h1t hits the fan and work needs completing urgently/any meetings to attend/etc, I don't mind staying - all depends on how urgent the situation is (and if I have nothing else on).

If they're insistent on being anal, time to find another gig.
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          If i get the hint that a client expects me to be around for no reason, I just say that I normally work X til Y.

If, on occasion, the 5h1t hits the fan and work needs completing urgently/any meetings to attend/etc, I don't mind staying - all depends on how urgent the situation is (and if I have nothing else on).

If they're insistent on being anal, time to find another gig.
          Same. I have no issue staying late if emergencies occur.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Forget IR35 issues. If you ever get investigated you just say you adhering to the same hours as permies as part of professional courtesy. At worst it's a very minor pointer. Nothing wrong with asking a supplier to work the same hours so as not to alienate himself and avoid the locals complaining.

Has he actually kicked off or has just politely advised he would rather you worked those hours. Can't see why they would kick off before a polite bit of advice.

Question I would ask is how much effort would it be for you to meet his expectations and how much do you want the contract. Not hard to work out what to do after answering those two IMO and it's only a decision you can make.
            True. But thing is permies seem to work when they want so no idea why hes decided its 9-5 for me?

Kicked off a little - it was more of a demand to be honest.

Comment

True. But thing is permies seem to work when they want so no idea why hes decided its 9-5 for me?

Kicked off a little - it was more of a demand to be honest.
              What does the contract say.......................

Comment

Probably wants to make being contractor seem less appealing to the permies. Flexible hours becomes a "perk of the job".

A couple of years back at a place I was in all the permies could work a 9 day fortnight. Consultants and contractors had to do 10 days. Permies could WFH. Contractors had to always be in.

Either that or he doesn't trust you yet.

Comment

If you are being treated differently from the employees, it can only help your IR35 defence.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

TBH nine to five as opposed to eight to four isn't exactly an unreasonable request. Irritating perhaps, but not unreasonable.

Just make sure it isn't the thin edge of the wedge as you have already accommodated them with the early/late start thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X