• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

14 days notice period for contract termination meaning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 days notice period for contract termination meaning

Hi,

I'm a contractor and my contract state a 14 days notice period should be given in order to end the service, before the contract end date. My question is how much penalty needs to be paid to settle the early termination?
    - Is it 10 working days (10 * day rate), which is same as 2 weeks notice period?
    - Is it 14 working days (14 * day rate).

In either case, any supporting document / link would be much appreciated. I search over the internet for a long time but didn't find any answer, Can someone please help?

Thanks,
    vijay

If it says "14 days" it means by normal custom and practice it means 14 calendar days. If those calendar days fall on a working day that's what you may be entitled to compensation for. So if 12 of those 14 days are normal working days you get 12 days compensation.

However you may not necessarily be entitled to compensation for being terminated early. Why? Your contract states if there is no work to do then you don't get paid this means only in exceptional circumstances you will be paid for doing nothing.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vj12354 View Post
      Hi,

I'm a contractor and my contract state a 14 days notice period should be given in order to end the service, before the contract end date. My question is how much penalty needs to be paid to settle the early termination?
      - Is it 10 working days (10 * day rate), which is same as 2 weeks notice period?
      - Is it 14 working days (14 * day rate).

In either case, any supporting document / link would be much appreciated. I search over the internet for a long time but didn't find any answer, Can someone please help?
      If the client is terminating early, then they will usually have included a clause which means that you don't get paid if you don't work. As such, there is no need for them to terminate, just tell you not to turn up and you get nothing.

If it's the contractor breaching the contract, then you would need to take professional advice on what the sums are likely to be.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks,
        vijay
        Do you seriously think there's going to be a link on the net for this?

What does your contract say?
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Do you seriously think there's going to be a link on the net for this?

What does your contract say?
          He doesn't understand his contract which is the issue.

I think I posted before that lots of posters who post here don't read and understand their contract before signing it.

Comment

vj12354 I suggest you read the termination clauses in your contract as well.

There is likely a clause that states that they can either dismiss immediately for any reason, or dismiss you for reasons of performance. If the client does this then definitely do not get any compensation for being terminated early.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              If it says "14 days" it means by normal custom and practice it means 14 calendar days. If those calendar days fall on a working day that's what you may be entitled to compensation for. So if 12 of those 14 days are normal working days you get 12 days compensation.

However you may not necessarily be entitled to compensation for being terminated early. Why? Your contract states if there is no work to do then you don't get paid this means only in exceptional circumstances you will be paid for doing nothing.

In 14 days period, there are just 10 working days at max. But since a month I was asked to work overtime 6-7 days a week. My contract was terminated because the client got some cheap resource and they asked to leave immediately. So as per the contract I want to invoice for 14 days, but they said the pay only for 10 days. And I'm not happy about the client attitude.
              Last edited by vj12354; 3 December 2014, 14:56.

Comment

In 14 days period, there are just 10 working days at max. But since a month I was asked to work overtime 6-7 days a week. My contract was terminated because the client got some cheap resource and they asked to leave immediately. So as per the contract I want to invoice for 14 days, but they said the pay only for 10 days. And I'm not happy about the client attitude.
                If they are going to pay you for not doing any work for ten days then shut up, grab the money and run as fast as your little legs will carry you.

Otherwise, they may read the contract and realise that they don't have to pay you anything for time you don't work and you end up with nothing.

Thank them for the work, and wish them the best of luck - they may want you back in the future, and any client that doesn't understand their contracts could be a nice one to have again.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Thank them for the work, and wish them the best of luck - they may want you back in the future, and any client that doesn't understand their contracts could be a nice one to have again.
                  So is a contractor who doesn't understand/read the contract before/after(!) they sign it, apparently!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    vj12354 I suggest you read the termination clauses in your contract as well.

There is likely a clause that states that they can either dismiss immediately for any reason, or dismiss you for reasons of performance. If the client does this then definitely do not get any compensation for being terminated early.

There is no termination clause, just the a notice period of 14 days from Agency to consultant. There was no specific reason for termination, they said there are getting more experienced personal and so I have to quite.

Comment

Working...
                    X