• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deducted hours for compulsory event

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deducted hours for compulsory event

I was requested to attend a supplier lunch on behalf of my client. No one else from the company was able to attend therefore I was asked (told) to attend on their behalf.

I have now been asked to edit my time sheet to reflect only a half day on the day of the event since in their eyes I was offsite from midday.

I have politely and professionally said no but so far my hours have not been approved.

Any suggestions?

What does your contract state about your working location?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by acnm View Post
      I was requested to attend a supplier lunch on behalf of my client. No one else from the company was able to attend therefore I was asked (told) to attend on their behalf.

I have now been asked to edit my time sheet to reflect only a half day on the day of the event since in their eyes I was offsite from midday.

I have politely and professionally said no but so far my hours have not been approved.

Any suggestions?
      Request and compulsory are two different things. It pays to seek clarification (in writing) every time a departure from the contract schedule is suggested. Yes, you should be able to trust everyone, but you cannot. You also cannot make such assumptions in business.

Also, lunch is an hour typically. How long were you away from site?

Comment

This was a half day job. Call it a supplier networking event with lunch thrown in.

Comment

Any suggestions?
          They are taking the piss. They wanted you to attend so they should pay.

Tell them you wont be amending your timesheet and you wont be doing anymore work until it is signed off.
          Last edited by BolshieBastard; 3 December 2014, 13:16.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I wouldn't take this lightly at all (not saying you'll get the half day back).

I'd make it clear that they pay for my services on a daily basis and if I was to take a half day off (which they appear to be implying) then I wouldn't be spending it with their clients - and therefore the time spent with their clients was done so at their request and as such you'll be invoicing for the time.

If they refuse to move then if it bothers you enough look to walk, or look to claw back that half a day somewhere down the line (there are a number of ways) making sure you file this away as an expensive lesson.

Comment

Any suggestions?
              Leave.

And since you've not been there very long (based on your contract coming to an end on November 11th), I would miss it off the CV.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Psychocandy will love this thread!!!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Depends a little on how you are paid, in that if you're one a Professional Working Day then you charge a set amount for any 24 hours you do work for them regardless if its 1 hour or 23.

However, you weren't their for your benefit but theirs, so it's their liability. I rarely agree with BB on stuff but this time he is entirely correct.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Any suggestions?
                    I never fail to be surprised on this site, and I would be genuinely gob smacked if one of my clients did this to me.

I'd like to say on principal I would hand in my notice there and then, but it would depend on the current market, warchest etc. Even then though, all trust lost for me, and I'd be immediately looking for a new role.

Let us know what happens.

EDIT: is it definitely not a bit of miscommunication and they don't want you to book that half day to a particular project code?
                    Last edited by jmo21; 3 December 2014, 15:49.

Comment

Working...
                    X