• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sub Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub Contracting

Does anyone here do this ? Sub Contract out additional work

Interested to hear views

Not worth the hassle in most cases, you are better off having the subcontractor go direct with the whoever your contract is with and if you are looking for a cut arrange it separately.

Comment

Originally posted by steve80 View Post
      Does anyone here do this ? Sub Contract out additional work

Interested to hear views
      If you're an IPSE member, ask in their forums - someone mentioned it in passing this morning.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I regularly subcontract out work as I have a fair bit of stuff coming in. It makes sense as I am building a business, but haven't quite got enough work in to justify hiring someone full time to cover the what ifs.

You need to be careful if you are on the VAT Flat Rate scheme though, as the extra turnover may take you over the threshold. I would also recommend you have a clear and concise contract between yourself and who you are using.
        Kind Regards,

Paul

Comment

I have in the past. In one case I had up to 4 people working for me on a freelance/contractor basis on a project I was the tech lead for, as it grew. In another I hired someone virtually full-time for several months, and then fixed at 30, then 20, hours a week for several more months, doing the web-dev work.

These were all small projects, not typical contractor roles where I decided to try and sell off my client's work.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I hired another contractor to write a WPF/C#/Com/C++ frame which I needed to get done for my client but could not get right in the time frame.

It was a fixed price contract and we signed a formal contract for it. However, he was unable to actually do it within the time we specified as it was more awkward than he expected so we decided to forget it and I carried on working on it myself.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Would clients / agent I'm with be bothered if I advertised for sub contractors ? Not sure how this goes down. I guess it's my business !

Comment

Would clients / agent I'm with be bothered if I advertised for sub contractors ? Not sure how this goes down. I guess it's my business !
                If the sub contractors are going to work on an unrelated contract/project - then probably no. But if you are looking into sub contracting parts of your existing contract it concerns both the client and the agency, what does your contract says?

Comment

A typical contractor would not be expected to do this, most likely your client would be pretty mad if you didn't clear it and they found out.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I told my client I was employing a subcontractor to create a framework which I would use a base for the system they needed. They got confused at first and said they had no money to pay them, I explained I would pay them as it would be my company doing the subcontract. Once they found out they were not paying for it and the sub contractor would not see any of the real code they did not care.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X