• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ACS Skills Assessment for Oz Migration Visa?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACS Skills Assessment for Oz Migration Visa?

As per title, anyone done one of these? Fancying the move to Oz as got family out there and visiting then has given me the itch to live in the sun.

Reading up on all the visa process at the moment and have spoken to various migration agencies. Ruddy hell, it isn't easy, have got 12 years+ contract development under my belt as well as previous permie Dev jobs and have to account for them all in minute detail (which, as a Contractor, wont be much fun).

If anyone has got any experience of the process - any pointers, advice or examples of paperwork much appreciated! Have been quoted £big by a couple of agents to help with the paperwork but would rather do it all myself and save a few quid to spend on the rest of the visa process.

Ta.

My UK mate now lives to Oz, AIX guru beyond belief, now works in a shop, can't get a job...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      My UK mate now lives to Oz, AIX guru beyond belief, now works in a shop, can't get a job...
      Is he happy with his lot though or regretting it?

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
        Is he happy with his lot though or regretting it?
        Seems happy moved cos his missus is Aussie, but he's from Hull so go figure...

Comment

but he's from Hull
          Ah, I see

Comment

I did it but a good few years back. The worst bit is the essays you need to write.
            What are you going to apply under? I used a migration agent who mainly does IT and know his stuff and wasn't expensive

Comment

Durbs, I went through this process about two years ago. Yes it's a pain as you must just all your contracts. However, it will be extremely difficult if not borderline impossible to get statements from each one. Instead you can use the agencies that you went through to provide a letter confirming your engagement with your clients. I assume this is for a Subclass 190 visa? Personally, I used a migration agent to guide through the process, the details required by the forms, my personal situation and amount of questions I had made it worthwhile.

Comment

I went through it a few years ago and found it extremely easy to get references from past clients.

I just emailed them a letter stating I worked on X project from Y date to Z date and was a highly valued member of the team. I asked them to print on headed paper, sign it and post it back to me if they agreed with the content.

All but one did, and he only said he couldn't as he didn't know if he was allowed to send post (he was a bit wet...)!
                So I posted him an SAE...

The move?
                Didn't happen - my GP advised me not to go ahead with the application as I was on an, at the time, experimental diabetes treatment that didn't work very well for me, and as the medical is right at the end I could have wasted 1,000s. In his opinion I would have been denied.

Diabetes is all settled now, but the kids are settled in school and the other half doesn't want to move now....
                Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  As per title, anyone done one of these? Fancying the move to Oz as got family out there and visiting then has given me the itch to live in the sun.

Reading up on all the visa process at the moment and have spoken to various migration agencies. Ruddy hell, it isn't easy, have got 12 years+ contract development under my belt as well as previous permie Dev jobs and have to account for them all in minute detail (which, as a Contractor, wont be much fun).

If anyone has got any experience of the process - any pointers, advice or examples of paperwork much appreciated! Have been quoted £big by a couple of agents to help with the paperwork but would rather do it all myself and save a few quid to spend on the rest of the visa process.

Ta.
                  I did the ACS skills assessment early last year (still got to apply for the 189 visa though! - will be doing that in a month or 2).

Anyway, just follow the guides on the ACS website. I got references from previous employers (from when I was a permie), and got a letter from my accountant to say what my contracting business did, and did a statutory declaration explaining what work I did for my limited company.

I also included statements from clients to say what work I did for them, although tbh I don't think they were required because my current client wouldn't give one and ACS have included up to the current date (at the time). Maybe they helped, maybe not.

Try and do it all yourself. I did, and glad of it. Saved a few £K probably but more importantly I got to understand how the process works myself. Some things I just prefer to do myself.

Do you have a degree/uni education? Would you be looking at going down the RPL route (nightmare!)
                  Last edited by kingcook; 5 January 2015, 22:26.
                  Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

This is the part that is worrying me. I go on the likes of http://www.seek.com.au and it's all Sydney based (== expensive)
                    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                    X