• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Wet Signed" Contract vs Verbal and Email amendments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the email and verbal agreements to form part of the contract and to be binding in which case we can refuse and they cannot terminate the contract (which has a few weeks left to run)
    Nope. You've already agreed to vary the start \ finish times 3 times. I dont think you'll find anyone who says you've a leg to stand on. Some lawyers may decide to fleece you if you want to go this route.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Haggisnneeps View Post
      They can terminate if they want but have to pay 2 weeks notice if they do (if there is no fault on my part) so I either get paid garden leave of two weeks or work those two weeks. I don't mind.
      Gardening leave? You really have the wrong mindset here, akin to that of a permie. Does your contract state that you will get paid two weeks notice, unconditionally, upon termination of the contract (i.e. without a signed timesheet) or does it say that you will get two weeks notice? If the latter, you shouldn't expect a penny, as there will be no work for you to do. If this is your first experience contracting, I suggest you reevaluate your expectations, because they're well off the mark.

Comment

@Haggisnneeps there are very likely other termination clauses in your contract which means they can terminate you at will.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          @Haggisnneeps there are very likely other termination clauses in your contract which means they can terminate you at will.
          This.

Most of the contracts we work under are like this.

In our opinion, yours probably will be too (but have a read and see).

There is no doubt it's tulipty if they are trying to force hours on you, if you're correct in your statement regarding the boss flexing his muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by Haggisnneeps View Post

As a contractor I'm paid to be "right" or "correct". I just want to be in possession of the facts when I argue with them
            Asking a bunch of random people on an internet forum for their opinions will get you loads of opinions but without seeing the contract and understanding the working practices there will be very few of them that can be considered facts.

Comment

Get in writing what hours they want you to do and stick to them. Then make sure that is all you do for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                Despite your obvious sarcasm ... Pull your head out of your arse. So what if they want you in 9 to 5. Do 9 to 5 - Next time they need you to work late or come in early, don't.

Not hard really.
                FWIW, I don't disagree with you, and I was being largely sarcastic in my original post. A minor change in hours (i.e. doing 9-5 instead of 8-4 or equivalent) is nothing to get worked up over.

That said, though, some people around here would have you bending over, dropping your pants and drawing a target around your a-hole to help the client in screwing you.

It's important to have some flexibility around the specifics of your contract, but there's a fine line between that and allowing the client to treat you like a subservient peon. You really do have to draw the line at some point. And with some clients, even showing a little flexibility has them thinking they can get away with much more - the old "give them an inch" and all that.

Besides, how often do clients agree to contract terms that you decide to randomly change mid-contract?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  That said, though, some people around here would have you bending over, dropping your pants and drawing a target around your a-hole to help the client in screwing you.?
                  Might add that to NLadyUK's Continual Service Improvement Register!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It annoys me.

I bet all contractors there are regularly in a huddle discussing this and getting hard thinking about 'sticking it to the man' - so to speak.

If you don't want the role - step aside, plenty more where you came from.

Tone

Comment

This thread is ridiculous.

You have two choices.

Either put up with it or move onto the next contract.
                      Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Working...
                      X