• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract

Hi

I hope someone can provide me with some advice. I was due to start a contract when a week before I was advised the start date had been put back a couple of weeks and I was a given a new start date. I have now received a call from the agency telling me that this date won't be going ahead for at least another 3 weeks but no start given. I know that this has fallen through, however I have left a permanent position to take on this contract. Is there anything I can do? I have read my contract and it is silent on this type of situation. Also I signed up with an umbrella company does this make any difference to the action I can take. I feel like I am not being told the whole story by the agency and it may be the case they have too many people for the positions on offer. I can accept that things happen in contracting but is there any action at all I can take? I would still be in permanent employment had I not accepted this contract.

Originally posted by Hardworker1 View Post
    Hi

I hope someone can provide me with some advice. I was due to start a contract when a week before I was advised the start date had been put back a couple of weeks and I was a given a new start date. I have now received a call from the agency telling me that this date won't be going ahead for at least another 3 weeks but no start given. I know that this has fallen through, however I have left a permanent position to take on this contract. Is there anything I can do? I have read my contract and it is silent on this type of situation. Also I signed up with an umbrella company does this make any difference to the action I can take. I feel like I am not being told the whole story by the agency and it may be the case they have too many people for the positions on offer. I can accept that things happen in contracting but is there any action at all I can take? I would still be in permanent employment had I not accepted this contract.
    Nope, nowt you can do. Move on.

Comment

Nope, you've been kippered, start looking again and thank God you have a decent war chest.

You do have a decent war chest don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hardworker1 View Post
        I can accept that things happen in contracting but is there any action at all I can take?
        Make sure you aren't going to get stung by the umbrella company if you aren't earning.

And then get looking for something else.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Bummer when that happens.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Unfortunate situation but your next step should probably be finding another contract asap.

Comment

I would be tempted to give the end client a ring... see if they have had any new starters.
              Quite possibly the agency found someone to do the job on a cheaper rate.
              Would be interesting if you could prove that.......

Comment

Unfortunately not. This is quite a common scenario. It is indeed unfortunate that it happened with your first contract, but this is an unavoidable lesson to be learned at some point (without meaning to sound dismissive, because I know it sucks). With contracting, you really only have the work that you're doing right now (and not even that sometimes ). Head up and keep looking.

Comment

Play the situation to your favour; say that you want a confirmed start date within x days, with that vests confirmed in 24 hours or you're off.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

A contract is never sorted until the last invoice is paid!

Tone

Comment

Working...
                    X