• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting paid after two months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting paid after two months

This is my first post so allow me to describe my current situation. I started working as a contractor the 17th November 2014 for an automotive company here in the U.K. At the beginning I was getting paid with a "stepper plan" which means I would have worked for two weeks, raised the invoice the third and get paid the forth. Now I am supposed to be paid every month. For instance: I will have to raise the invoice for the month of January by the 7th February and get paid the 2nd or 3rd March. That would leave me practically with no income for two months. All my other colleagues who are contractors with other agencies get paid the week after they have raised the invoices for the past month. Since I have been paid the 22th December and it will be very difficult to subsist until March, is there something I can do to get paid on February for the month of January? I know that the company has already paid the agency for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd working week of January.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Quick question: My colleagues who have my same exact experience and degree are getting paid more than me (although performing a different type of job, mine is less technical and more administrative), does that depend on the agency or on the company (client)?

What does your contract mention about this?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Sometimes I wonder how some people manage to draw their next breath......
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Scruff.

A part from:
        "Interim Invoicing: Monthly as per attached Invoice Payment Schedule."

In the Terms & Conditions it is also stated:
        "The company (agency) will pay the contractor on 30 days terms, subject to the proper and timely receipt of the Job Sheets and Invoice."

Does that mean that I will be getting paid 30 days after the invoice has been raised or that I will be paid on a 30-day basis?

Comment

Originally posted by Roby View Post

A part from:

"The company (agency) will pay the contractor on 30 days terms, subject to the proper and timely receipt of the Job Sheets and Invoice."

Does that mean that I will be getting paid 30 days after the invoice has been raised or that I will be paid on a 30-day basis?
          It means that if you submit an invoice with matching timesheets on 1st Jan, you would be generally be paid on 30th Jan.

Is there a clause in the contract which means they only pay if they get paid by the end client ?

Comment

A part from:

It means the former. YourCo raises an invoice and presents it to the Client - they cough up 30 days later.

Comment

Thank you Bluenose.

Yes, there is.

Well I guess that answers my first question...

Comment

A part from:

The reason why you are going to get snarky responses is that you haven't even completed basic research on what it means to run a business. You're asking a forum of people that, almost by definition, are independent and self reliant people whether '30 day terms' means 30 days after the invoice is raised. The top result on google for '30 days terms' is a clear and thorough explanation of what 30 days terms means.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=30+day+terms

Comment

Thank you Bluenose.

Yes, there is.

Well I guess that answers my first question...
                  No problem, nothing wrong with you asking for an update from the agent (if you have one). At this stage I would usually be escalating the problem via the agent who should be escalating it internally with the Finance team.

If you are direct then escalate it through your line manager, engagement manager and HR contact.

Its an annoying trend on contracts (not being shielded financially from the end clients) and having being burnt in the past in a similar fashion I usually get the agencies to amend the contract or I refuse the role.

Get yourself into a stronger financial position first, make sure you have contacts lined up for other roles and then negotiate an increase with current client on contract renewal or be prepared to walk.
                  Last edited by Bluenose; 27 January 2015, 22:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                    It means that if you submit an invoice with matching timesheets on 1st Jan, you would be generally be paid on 30th Jan.

Is there a clause in the contract which means they only pay if they get paid by the end client ?
                    I'd say you raise an invoice 1st Jan, and agent month end is 31st Jan, you'd be paid 28th Feb.

Comment

Working...
                    X