• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35; have you walked away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35; have you walked away?

Hi all,

Just a question mainly. Have you every walked away from a gig because its failed a IR35 review and the client wouldn't amend it to become IR35 friendly?

Yes.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm tempted to say "No" so you have both possible answers in two posts.

I guess your question is really about how often this happens and what to do. In my experience (not necessarily representative, though, as I work with minimal D&C through the nature of the work), it's generally possible to clarify problems with contract wording. If you work via an agency, it's worth involving the professionals to negotiate for you (an agent will generally listen to someone that knows what they're talking about). What's less straightforward to do, however, is to change the reality of the situation in the working practices, and this is what really matters. In other words, I'd always avoid dressing up a contract if you think the reality is going to be questionable.

Comment

No.

It's not about the contract, it's about the reality of the situation.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yes.

I had a potential client say the contract couldn't be amended - strangely they had difficulty recruiting from the UK.....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yes, but not just because of IR35.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

so the feeling i am getting from the responses is that work practices does indeed play a major role along side the contract; even if that does fail, but it would be good to also have a ir35 friendly contract as well?

The contract has been reviewed via QDOS who failed it on D&C and RoS. Suppose this is the first time going direct with a client, so probably a bit more cautious I guess (mainly cold feet ).

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                No.

It's not about the contract, it's about the reality of the situation.
                ^This - plus, I would never turn down work just because of IR35.

Comment

Yes, as per Cojak. I'm not an employee, disguised, or otherwise. I regard my business as bona fide and act accordingly.
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by anthony View Post
                    so the feeling i am getting from the responses is that work practices does indeed play a major role along side the contract; even if that does fail, but it would be good to also have a ir35 friendly contract as well?

The contract has been reviewed via QDOS who failed it on D&C and RoS. Suppose this is the first time going direct with a client, so probably a bit more cautious I guess (mainly cold feet ).
                    As far as IR35 is concerned, the working practices are paramount; the contract is there to explain any areas of uncertainty.

As for RoS, they clearly want you but that doesn't mean you can't have the right to sub subject to their approval as to the subbie's competence and qualification, such approval not to be unreasonably withheld.

However IR35 is a minor issue if you are direct. Apart from the low likelihood of you being under D&C anyway, you should have a lot more control over the arrangements with things like payment terms and rework, as well as clearly defined deliverables. Why prat about with a contract that requires a review anyway, use one of the standard IPSE ones, or even work to a simple Purchase Order (like what I does for various bit of freelance work), and get well way from any risk of being seen as an employee.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X