• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Service

Hi,
    If I have to attend for 10 days, my loss of earnings will be over £4000. Should I just not show up and take my chances with the £1000 fine? Economically, that would seem like the better option.

I wouldn't mind serving on a Jury, but how about some time when I am not in contract and busy...

Claim it back on your IPSE+ membership...

https://www.ipse.co.uk/business-interruption-services

2. Jury Service
    IPSE’s policy provides cover for Jury Service to all IPSE Plus Members and their employees and is available on the following basis:

The Plus Member was a Plus Member at the time of the original summons (i.e. a claim will not be accepted if the member joins on the basis of, or upgrades to Plus membership, after the initial summons but before the actual attendance date).
    Insurers agree to indemnify IPSE for claims made on its policy in connection with loss of earnings by members as a result of Jury Service providing the court requires the Designated Member (or Designated Member’s employee) to be in attendance or requires the designated agent to be available on specified days.
    The Jury Service Allowance will be limited to a maximum of 10 days at £500 per day less a deduction of any amount recovered from the relevant court.
    In order to arrive at the daily amount payable, the Member will provide details of the length and value of the current engagement from which it will be possible to calculate a daily rate.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or ask the court to excuse you since your company cannot afford to lose it prime fee earner at this point in time and explain why.

It will only be a deferment though.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Or ask the court to excuse you since your company cannot afford to lose it prime fee earner at this point in time and explain why.

I'm not an IPSE+ member, but I think I will sign up now. I just hadn't really given something like this much thought until it happens. Or I had somehow assumed it would only ever be a day or two of my time if it did. I also did not realize just how little they are prepared to refund you on lost earnings, £65 per day in Scotland for first 5 days, then £130 up to 10 days, then £220 up to 100.

Do you know if it is always possible to limit your service to a max of 10 days? I've got a high court summons, which potentially could be a long trial. My business will suffer serious consequences if it is a long one.

Actually the timing is very annoying, a previous boss has been in touch with a new potential project, if it gets the go ahead I may suddenly find myself needing to be intensively present to get the start-up planning and initial work off the ground. I would potentially lose a rare and life changing opportunity.

Think I'd better ask for a deferment this time.

Comment

If you read the benefits then IPSE+ is a no brainer. Need ti make sure you've got your business covered properly.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            If you read the benefits then IPSE+ is a no brainer. Need ti make sure you've got your business covered properly.
            Looks good, I think I'd pay that for the occasional London workspace access alone. I'm signing up, I'll just have to take the hit for the Jury Service this time.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Not quite correct - you can ask for an exemption based on being main family earner, self employed (to jury people you are), which means you will never be called up. I did this about 4 years ago when summoned by just emailing them and explaining.

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
                Hi,
                If I have to attend for 10 days, my loss of earnings will be over £4000. Should I just not show up and take my chances with the £1000 fine? Economically, that would seem like the better option.

I wouldn't mind serving on a Jury, but how about some time when I am not in contract and busy...
                I had to do jury service back in 2011 - Took about seven working days if I remember right and was mighty boring as well. Some assault charge which he was guilty as sin.

I tried to get out of attending but the crown court would not allow it - Your mileage might well vary of course but they seem pretty strict about that sort of stuff

Comment

I got an exemption 10 years ago after requesting one on the basis that I was the only person working for my company and we'd just signed a 6 month contract. The company had only been in existence for about 3 weeks - it was may first contract.

Comment

And people wonder why juries end up being composed entirely of anti establishment misfits.

possibly because they are the only ones who cant get off.

the court servce has rightly recognised that juries were becoming highly unrepresentative and is thankfully takng a much stricter line.

Comment

Working...
                    X