• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offer of New Contract for Completely Different Role & Worried I'll be Out of My Depth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    This.

Worst that happens is that you choose to leave because it's too much, or they get rid of you because you can't do it to their standards - you then explain how it wasn't a "typical" PM role, and no-one cares.

Go for it.
    This.... But please don't come back on all upset you've been terminated unfairly or been treated badly by the client etc. Even two month of PMO experience isn't a lot even for a PMO role let alone blagging the next one up. Unless the gig is an odd one or you can really pull a miracle out of the bag this could be a messy gig.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 19 April 2015, 17:47.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Go for it! Look at some of the numpty PMs you've come across in your career - you can't be worse than them can you?

Comment

... and come back and tell us how you get on.

Comment

If they have offered you the job they must think you can do, if they think you can do it you must have given them the impression you can, if you think you can why can't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkTQ7...youtu.be&t=46s
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Couldn't help thinking about this more as I'd be very concerned if I was in the OPs boots. What exactly are you hoping to achieve long term here. This reads to me you are just flailing about in the hope of getting something that isn't really going to be much use going forward. You are getting a non standard gig that most PMs wouldn't touch so gotta read in to that it's not going to be much use going forward and you are going to be back trying to blag gigs with even less solid experience than you had before. Contracting isn't for generalists and 'can do' people. You have to have a skill you can sell. You got a big warchest behind you?

I'm not saying go for it but Indo think you need to seriously consider what you are doing long term.

Unfortunately MS mentions numpty PMs. In my recent experience most of these have been people blagging and moving from one fk up to the next without any decent skills thinking they are doing a good job. Being a good solid PM takes years of hard work. It's not something you blag into from PMO. There are exceptions and bad guys that have experience can be next to useless I agree.. But still, learning in the job contracting isn't really the best way.

I'm sure I'll get some flack being negative, just trying to put a realistic spin on it. I'm sick of picking up services from PMs that just aren't.

Comment

He wants to be a PM, so this seems a good opportunity.

Comment

One of the great things about being a contractor is that the direct relationship with the client. No fluffy employment nonsense and career development. If they don't like you, they get rid of you. That's it. Seize the opportunity. If it doesn't work out, never mind. Nothing lost.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The client impressed on me during the interview that the role isn't a straight forward Project Manager role as it is more change process delivery driven amongst other things. However this morning I sent HR an email stating that I didn't feel I had enough experience as a Project Manager to competently deliver and could be out of my depth on what are large projects, what with my experience and skills mainly being PMO at programme and portfolio level. They've replied to say that they're obviously disappointed as both they and the other client were confident in my abilities and is there anything that they can do to address or allay my concerns or negotiate. I feel in an awkward position now as they already know I'm not confident in doing the role after considering it so I fear the damage has been done . I was due to start this morning (haven't signed the contract).

Comment

Wow. What a mess. Get a perm gig as a junior PM to build some skills and confidence and come back contracting in a couple of years. It will pay handsomely in the long term. You are just NCOTBAC at the moment.

Comment

As someone else mentioned, it's about impressions that you leave. You've just f**ked that up now. If PM is where you want to be, then do as NLUK suggests, go permie, get the experience, you'll feel more confident knowing you can back it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X