• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client says NO to time off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Option 1

Tell the client to F*** off and don't take the extension (no billing)

Option 2

Accept the extension and then inform client a week prior to holiday that you are unavailable for a few weeks (don't tell him its a holiday as you are not a permie) but you will as per contract kindly offer him the option of a subby.

outcome, you bill up to your holiday, client either says on ya bike and serves notice (probably immediate) or accepts you are away and may take up your option

Point is that either way client wont be happy so rather bill more time on Option 2 and then you are contractually covered via the substitute route

Job done

Comment

Originally posted by MercladUK View Post
      Option 1

Tell the client to F*** off and don't take the extension (no billing)

Option 2

Accept the extension and then inform client a week prior to holiday that you are unavailable for a few weeks (don't tell him its a holiday as you are not a permie) but you will as per contract kindly offer him the option of a subby.

outcome, you bill up to your holiday, client either says on ya bike and serves notice (probably immediate) or accepts you are away and may take up your option

Point is that either way client wont be happy so rather bill more time on Option 2 and then you are contractually covered via the substitute route

Job done
      What a load of utter crap.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You're not available that week/two weeks. Period.

Like it or lump it. What's wrong with you people.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Go sick
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            What a load of utter crap.
            wow, the most profound post of the day goes to Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbdump

Comment

Ah this chestnut again.

I dont know why people go off on one when clients say 'Nope' to holidays. If you want to be treated like a permie, you make noises and stamp your little feet.

When a client says 'not my problem' you have to tell them there and then straight. Its no good saying 'do you expect me to lose X grand or do you expect me to cancel. They've already indicated the answer is no.

So, you've got to be resolute. You say Im very sorry to hear that but in that case, I will not be here for it to be a problem.

If you're umming and ahhing over whether to accept an extension when the client has clearly dissed you, that's a mugs game.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

On my current contract I was due to finish at the end of April, so booked 2 weeks off first 2 weeks in May. Figured I'd go on hols then look for a new gig in June.

Project goes t1ts up and go live put back to August. Client asks me to extend to October. I tell them great, but I have 2 weeks off now in May. Not ideal but not much they or I can do about it. You have to be willing to walk away from the gig. Be polite but firm - say you'd love to extend, it's a great role etc, but you won't be around for those two weeks.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Well at the moment Im waiting to see how it pans out. If and when its deffo we'll see where we are then.

In truth the client guy isnt too bad to deal with normally and can be a top man at times. Hes just a bit hardass and like to rule with an iron fist so to speak - the permies get it worse. Also, he doesnt really get contracting - as far as hes concerned youre just a temp permie.

Also he does like to remind everyone whos in charge at times. Sometimes he'll bluster over something and then back down. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    The client said "Not my problem".... what an utter tool.

I would say simply say, so you want me to lose £4000 and piss off my family, because there are not enough people in the office?

If he again says yes/not my problem, I would immediately hand in my notice.

At that point the relationship is ruined for me. No respect whatsoever. Total disdain for you as a human being. Forgetting what the missus would say, having to see my kids face as I tell them holiday cancelled?! No chance.

Client Co might not care in the grand scheme of things of course, but I simply could not continue working there.

If I stayed I know I would be giving the bare minimum effort, and yes, that's not professional, I should be the bigger man etc, but it's just not worth it.

With enough notice, which OP gave, no holiday time should suddenly be revoked. When informing them of time off, of course, take into consideration any scheduled project plans, but no reasonable request should be rejected, never mind try to revoke it at a later date.

This is exactly why I'm a contractor! My wife and kids are far more important to me than any contract and I no longer allow any client/agent/boss/customer (call it what you like) to control my life.

I've not yet had to do it, but I'm certain I will walk away from a client if the relationship went bad or descended to this level.

Comment

Sorry, but if it were me I'd like to think the conversation would have gone something like this:

Me: I've already paid and can't cancel.
                      Client: That's not my problem, there's not enough people in the office.
                      Me: That's not my problem, I'm not an employee of yours, I'm a supplier.

As my last client found out, I don't respond well to idiots.
                      Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                      X