• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agent delaying payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Am not so sure about the second to last paragraph. If they don't get paid the still have to pay you so they are taking a risk.
    Yes, you are right.

However, they should have been aware of this when negotiating my extension only a few weeks ago, and I do feel that I have been kept in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
      Well done, sounds like you are on top of it, and the client is happy with you, and I assume will keep signing your timesheet. So I think the agent has to effectively terminate your contract to get out of paying you ( or go bust ). If your gut says bale out anyway, then I'd check the situation regarding you terminating the contract ( ie. can you just use the no MOO clause - dunno ? ) before jumping.
      I don't understand this. Remember the client isn't paying the agent, who in turn isn't paying the contractor. It's not the agent trying to get out of anything. They've taken the hit already. What we don't know is what's going on between client and agent pay wise.

I am sure the client is happy with him and will be happy to sign his time sheet because they ain't paying anything.

Horrible situation all round this one.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I agree that it is a horrible situation and I have only told 1 of the 3 sides to this story.

I have questioned to the agent as to why they have renewed and then decided halt in such a short space of time. The more senior staff at the agency are suggesting that a more junior agent was chasing commission.

It seems that the client is behind by several months and Im just feel disappointed that I was kept in the dark until after the dust had settled on my renewal. If I had started looking mid April, Im sure I would be getting my teeth into something new by now. Im not bitter, but do feel that the agent has let me down a little.

Comment

Originally posted by AntiqueGeek View Post
          I agree that it is a horrible situation and I have only told 1 of the 3 sides to this story.

I have questioned to the agent as to why they have renewed and then decided halt in such a short space of time. The more senior staff at the agency are suggesting that a more junior agent was chasing commission.

It seems that the client is behind by several months and Im just feel disappointed that I was kept in the dark until after the dust had settled on my renewal. If I had started looking mid April, Im sure I would be getting my teeth into something new by now. Im not bitter, but do feel that the agent has let me down a little.
          That, I am afraid, is business. Suppliers (which you basically are) don't know until too late.

I imagine a lot of people here have been close to this and are non the wiser it ever happened.

Comment

Originally posted by AntiqueGeek View Post

It's tulip but it could be a lot worse. Your payments aren't in arrears, and I can't see any reason why you won't get paid for the work you have done so far this month. ie. the agency are already paying up despite their own arrears. The agency must think the client are solvent and will pay up and/or they are very stupid. But again its not strictly your problem at the moment, it is up to the agent to terminate your contract, if you keep getting signed timesheets they have to pay up.

I'd still be wary about not turning up until you have checked if you can do that in your contract (ie. via no MOO ). They won't be the first agency to start throwing threats around if you don't turn up. So do it by the book if you bale out. It may be that the best option is for the agent to terminate you.

ps. I'd try to get an email from the client and/or agent agreeing that your services are no longer required
            Last edited by rootsnall; 19 May 2015, 08:25.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post

I'd still be wary about not turning up until you have checked if you can do that in your contract (ie. via no MOO ). They won't be the first agency to start throwing threats around if you don't turn up. So do it by the book if you bale out. It may be that the best option is for the agent to terminate you.
              IMO This isn't MoO. You are obliged to do the contract you signed. MoO is about work after the current contract.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

IMO This isn't MoO. You are obliged to do the contract you signed. MoO is about work after the current contract.
                Exactly. Lack of MoO is about not being obliged to accept work beyond what has been agreed. It should be explicit within the contract.

Typically there is no obligation to work every single day of the contract. You shouldn't need permission to break for a day, few days, or even a week. This can be done with goodwill and the absolute intention of returning after said period and an expectation that "the payment issues will be sorted out by then".

Comment

Not something I've ever had to look into, the only contract I have baled out of was pre the agency regs, and even IR35 if I remember correctly, so different looking contracts. I covered myself with an email from the client with words to the effect of 'no longer required'.

I think AntiqueGeek needs to be careful before not turning up. It could possibly give the agent some ammunition in terms of not paying him the couple of weeks outstanding. Possibly why they tried the 'maybe' don't turn up line !? You can never be too cynical when it gets messy like this

Comment

Working...
                  X