• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance - Arrested but not charged

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you, or didn't you? Only you know the answer...
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Don't feed the trolls

Comment

It is important that you tell them everything as they will almost certainly will find out anyway, and liars tend not to get security cleared as that is exactly the type of thing they are trying to establish about your character. Even if you were convicted of a crime it does not necessarily exclude you from gaining clearance. Of course it depends what the crime was, but you have not been convicted of anything yet anyway.

A couple of years ago I was interviewed about my best friend as he needed the very highest level of security clearance (works at AWE). It was made clear to me that I had to answer all questions honestly as what they were really looking for was likely hood that he could be blackmailed by someone for information. I told them several things about his past that would likely put off a potential employer but he was security cleared without any trouble. The details of the application will not get back to employer, just that you have either passed or failed.

Comment

This will not be filtered out on a SC

Comment

Originally posted by Bozwell View Post
            It is important that you tell them everything as they will almost certainly will find out anyway, and liars tend not to get security cleared as that is exactly the type of thing they are trying to establish about your character. Even if you were convicted of a crime it does not necessarily exclude you from gaining clearance. Of course it depends what the crime was, but you have not been convicted of anything yet anyway.

A couple of years ago I was interviewed about my best friend as he needed the very highest level of security clearance (works at AWE). It was made clear to me that I had to answer all questions honestly as what they were really looking for was likely hood that he could be blackmailed by someone for information. I told them several things about his past that would likely put off a potential employer but he was security cleared without any trouble. The details of the application will not get back to employer, just that you have either passed or failed.
            How come he was cleared when you back bit him. Did they not believe you?

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
              They don't really care too much what you have done (within reason), but judge the likelihood of it being used to get information from you. If you've already disclosed all the naughty bits of your past no one can threaten to tell the authorities in order to make you talk about the secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Bozwell View Post
                They don't really care too much what you have done (within reason), but judge the likelihood of it being used to get information from you. If you've already disclosed all the naughty bits of your past no one can threaten to tell the authorities in order to make you talk about the secrets.
                You have been reading some poor quality spy stories! Potential blackmailers are a very small threat. Serial deceivers are much a bigger risk! It is whether you are an adulterer rather than whether you care about being found out after you have had your fun.

Comment

You have been reading some poor quality spy stories! Potential blackmailers are a very small threat. Serial deceivers are much a bigger risk! It is whether you are an adulterer rather than whether you care about being found out after you have had your fun.
                  I just listened to the explanation of the person who did the interview but there's probably multiple things they are looking for. The point is that being honest in these things is the right thing to do.

Comment

No, what he said probably corroborated what his freind had already told them, and didn't bring to light anything he hadnt told them. Thats the point. To establish if you can be trusted. If you withold information or lie, you can't be trusted and you dont get clearance.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      No, what he said probably corroborated what his freind had already told them, and didn't bring to light anything he hadnt told them. Thats the point. To establish if you can be trusted. If you withold information or lie, you can't be trusted and you dont get clearance.
                      But the OP was not the subject of the enquiry.........they were investigating his friend. "I told them several things about his past that would likely put off a potential employer" but the friend was cleared.

I was not advocating lies, merely raising an eyebrow at the result!
                      Last edited by Taita; 17 June 2015, 16:02.

Comment

Working...
                      X