• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it normal to have 3 interviews for a short term contract ????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like Barclays.
    World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
      Yes it does happen.. Fortunately not too often.
      In my experience, it is mostly with hiring managers that do not understand contracting, do not understand the difference between contractors and permies, and believe they really are recruiting a perm employee - despite all evidence to the contrary.
      If you're a prefessional contractor, that should ring some alarm bells.

But as has been said earlier in the thread... the abnormal of yesterday is the new normal of today.
      The problem with 21st century 'talent management' is that these numpty hiring 'managers' actually get a career outside MacDonald's in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
        Hi all. I had an hour long first interview with a retail bank just over 2 weeks ago for a contract role, which went well, with three interviewers. A bit of overkill to have three present I thought, but hey-ho. Anyway, I fed back to the agency consultant who said that they would likely make a decision from this and rarely are two interviews required.

Two days later, I received positive feedback and a second was arranged which was scheduled about a week later, and changed at the last minute. The reason being that the hiring manager wanted me to meet some of the team who were based in another city so arranging a time when they could be free from their busy schedules would be difficult, but this was not a job offer, just a chance to meet some of the team (!).I was a bit annoyed as the last minute change came the night before the morning of my interview. I was then informed that I could either travel 40 miles for the second interview to meet some of the team the very next morning, or wait a further 3 days to meet them when they were up in the office where I would be based. I opted for 40 miles away, just because this had been dragging on for over a week and I wanted some closure and thought it would help speed up the decision making process.

Eventually I was contacted again to say, no, we will go with meeting some of the team in my city. Second interview comes, and one of the team whom I was meant to meet did not even turn up due to a 'crisis' with their project. I spent a further hour with the hiring manager going through an indepth role description and asking my thoughts, to be told at the end, 'We appreciate this has been going on a while and we don't want to keep you waiting, so will let you know by the end of today at the latest. We will just have a quick discussion now.' Great, I thought. End of the day came......no phone call from the agency. It must be bad news, I thought. This morning I receive an email from the recruitment agency guy saying the interview was positive and believe it or not they would like to see me for a third time with another more senior member of the programme. He had mentioned to his contact that a third interview was extremely unusual but she said that if I have any queries about the role to contact her on her mobile!

So now, by the time the third interview arrives this will be 3 weeks down the line for a 3 month contract that they needed someone for 'urgently.' Is this normal? I have never been through such a rigorous process for a contract, coupled with the chopping and changing of interview times which, IF, I am successful will mean from start of the process to going into the role it will be around a 6 week timeline .
        Sounds like they are lining you up for a permie offer not a contract. Only time I know someone had a request for 3 interviews with the bank was for a permie role.

Ive worked a lot in banking these last 12+ years and Ive never had two interviews for a role never mind 3.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Happens a lot nowadays they all want the perfect know-it-all contractor superstar who can fix anything even the most broken environment

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
            Happens a lot nowadays they all want the perfect know-it-all contractor superstar who can fix anything even the most broken environment
            BS prize of the day goes to......
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Funny I was talking to a friend about this. In France, three interviews for a job is pretty normal, whether contract or permanent and for the most short term, badly paid roles. On two occasions she's had interviews where she has met the boss, and then had to meet the boss's wife, then the team. Seriously. I, however, am a pampered Londoner who refuses to do more than 2 interviews for contract roles. If you want me to 'meet the team' or whatever, then arrange it for the second interview along with any tests, presentations need to take place. We are all busy people, and travelling up and down for interviews can be an expensive business and most vexing when after all the palaver you don't get the role.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                Seriously. I, however, am a pampered Londoner who refuses to do more than 2 interviews for contract roles. If you want me to 'meet the team' or whatever, then arrange it for the second interview along with any tests, presentations need to take place. We are all busy people, and travelling up and down for interviews can be an expensive business and most vexing when after all the palaver you don't get the role.
                I wonder how long that attitude will last when you're out of work

Comment

Googled and this thread came up...

Looking for a new gig as I'm not sure how long current one will be around (started April last year). Put forward for a contract. Three interviews, one phone and two face to face. A little over the top, but hey, it looks promising. After passing the phone interview I found out the second interview will be two hours:
                  1. Case study presentation
                  2. Technical questions
                  3. Panel interview

I double checked it was for a contract role, not permanent and was explicit I have no interest in going perm. Crazy times it seems.

Comment

I lost an opportunity recently. Applied and heard nothing for 2 weeks, then a request one afternoon for f2f the next day involving a 7hr round trip. I offered to skype or telephone first and the agency said that they would come back with a time. They never came back and seem to have my number blocked

Comment

I did have one manager who did a 10min telephone interview, non technical, and took me on. He explained in the first week that my CV was good with lots of renewals so he took me on, if he didn't like me in the first week he'd have canned me and tried again.

This seems the right attitude to contractors to me. Some Managers really don't see the difference between recruiting a permie and a contractor, the ad is basically the job spec for a permie and it all goes downhill from there.

Comment

Working...
                      X