• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it normal to have 3 interviews for a short term contract ????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    Some Managers really don't see the difference between recruiting a permie and a contractor, the ad is basically the job spec for a permie and it all goes downhill from there.
    Exactly this. First bit of info I got was a job spec, clearly written for a permie. Should have known from that point what to expect.

Comment

Had 5 interviews once for a contract with a loss adjustment company, threatened to fly me to Atlanta for another one before eventually signing me up. I needed to get off the bench so played nicely.
      "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Had 4 interviews at McKinsey for a contract role

Comment

Current gig recommended by a mate who used to work here. 10 min chat in canteen. When can you start? The best type of interview by a mile....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
            I did have one manager who did a 10min telephone interview, non technical, and took me on. He explained in the first week that my CV was good with lots of renewals so he took me on, if he didn't like me in the first week he'd have canned me and tried again.

This seems the right attitude to contractors to me. Some Managers really don't see the difference between recruiting a permie and a contractor, the ad is basically the job spec for a permie and it all goes downhill from there.
            Very similar to my current role at Insurance client. Had a very quick 5 minute chat with company lead developer, they told me the tech stack they used, asked if I was happy with it and whether I had used most / all of it before, and then got off the phone. I called the agent afterwards and said I thought it was a bad interview as the call was so short and he didn't go into any of my previous projects etc. An hour later, I had the offer, contract and was getting my paperwork sorted for screening. Been here for 18 months now. Like you say, when you are dealing with a client who understands the differences between contract and permie world it makes all the difference.

Comment

I remember the good old days back in the 1980s. 10 minute interview. Basically "can you do the job?". If you messed up, you get the sack.

Comment

Can the word 'jobsworths' be applied here?
                Kept them busy for a while anyway. You'll probably find it'll be meeting overload there too.
                Last edited by SuperZ; 10 May 2017, 08:44.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I remember the good old days back in the 1980s. 10 minute interview. Basically "can you do the job?". If you messed up, you get the sack.
                  I'm not that old to remember that, but that is really all you need now. Most of my interviews have been 20-30 minutes, and it's been more of a informal chat by the end of it, about team fit etc. If all clientco's understood that if you can't do the job they can get rid of you immediately anyway, things would be easier. But then I guess on the flip side it would be easier for chancers too.

Comment

More than 2 interviews usually mean it's not going to happen as it indicates internal disagreement and uncertainty within clientco whether they really need a contractor or not.

Comment

I had three interviews for my first ever contract role at a global pharma company (initial 6 months.)

1st - one of the IT Directors and one of my potential team workers.
                      2nd - European CIO. I thought that would surely be it.
                      3rd - UK Finance Director (as a potential stakeholder) to assess 'cultural fit'. This one was mainly a rubber stamp, informal chat via phone whilst I was at a music festival. We spoke mainly about non-work matters in the end and I got the offer that afternoon.

It seemed excessive but it was a fairly senior role.

By contrast, I once had an interview for an IT Leadership Team contract role with the CIO and someone from HR. All done and dusted in a 45 mins single interview.

No logic to it all really...

Comment

Working...
                      X