• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it normal to have 3 interviews for a short term contract ????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it normal to have 3 interviews for a short term contract ????

Hi all. I had an hour long first interview with a retail bank just over 2 weeks ago for a contract role, which went well, with three interviewers. A bit of overkill to have three present I thought, but hey-ho. Anyway, I fed back to the agency consultant who said that they would likely make a decision from this and rarely are two interviews required.

Two days later, I received positive feedback and a second was arranged which was scheduled about a week later, and changed at the last minute. The reason being that the hiring manager wanted me to meet some of the team who were based in another city so arranging a time when they could be free from their busy schedules would be difficult, but this was not a job offer, just a chance to meet some of the team (!).I was a bit annoyed as the last minute change came the night before the morning of my interview. I was then informed that I could either travel 40 miles for the second interview to meet some of the team the very next morning, or wait a further 3 days to meet them when they were up in the office where I would be based. I opted for 40 miles away, just because this had been dragging on for over a week and I wanted some closure and thought it would help speed up the decision making process.

Eventually I was contacted again to say, no, we will go with meeting some of the team in my city. Second interview comes, and one of the team whom I was meant to meet did not even turn up due to a 'crisis' with their project. I spent a further hour with the hiring manager going through an indepth role description and asking my thoughts, to be told at the end, 'We appreciate this has been going on a while and we don't want to keep you waiting, so will let you know by the end of today at the latest. We will just have a quick discussion now.' Great, I thought. End of the day came......no phone call from the agency. It must be bad news, I thought. This morning I receive an email from the recruitment agency guy saying the interview was positive and believe it or not they would like to see me for a third time with another more senior member of the programme. He had mentioned to his contact that a third interview was extremely unusual but she said that if I have any queries about the role to contact her on her mobile!

So now, by the time the third interview arrives this will be 3 weeks down the line for a 3 month contract that they needed someone for 'urgently.' Is this normal? I have never been through such a rigorous process for a contract, coupled with the chopping and changing of interview times which, IF, I am successful will mean from start of the process to going into the role it will be around a 6 week timeline .

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
    s it normal to have 3 interviews for a short term contract ?
    Nothing in this world is normal.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The only time I have been for three interviews for a contract was when they wanted a contractor to perm. I never wanted to go perm but stupidly the agency convinced me that if I took the contract the worse thing that would happen was that I would have a 6 month contract.

In reality what happened a couple of days before I was due to start, they pulled the contract as they wanted me to go straight into permie world.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Nothing in this world is normal.
        Totally this. If you get upset at everything that doesn't follow what you perceive as standard or reasonable process you are going to have a hard time contracting.

I've had three interviews with clients twice. One I got offered a different gig in the meantime so declined the third interview, second time all there were on consecutive days, not that far from home so just played along. Had to meet the Service Team (client manager I would be doing work for), the customer and a third with the senior guy in the Service Team.

It is a bit ridiculous to be fair but the clients got what I want so have to play along.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Its a bank. You are lucky to only get 3 interviews!

I remember applying to join PIMCO. 11 interviews. Some at 11pm at night! Told I was a dead cert and just a rubber stamping interview by guy on PIMCO board. I took it very seriously - just as well! But he kept asking about stuff I had done 20 years ago.

I then got rejected! I was not a forward thinking technologist!

If the banks were not propped up with free money they would have gone to the wall long ago.

But, IMO, keep at it! They need someone. And once you are in the are hardly likely to sack you and get in someone else!

Comment

Originally posted by fizzy View Post
            The only time I have been for three interviews for a contract was when they wanted a contractor to perm. I never wanted to go perm but stupidly the agency convinced me that if I took the contract the worse thing that would happen was that I would have a 6 month contract.

In reality what happened a couple of days before I was due to start, they pulled the contract as they wanted me to go straight into permie world.
            Be wary of this. They took me out to lunch once on a second interview and then when I got back said we want you to be permie. ****ers.

Comment

Happens. Had similar once and it was all sorted then finance director decided he wanted to interview me.

He was rude as hell and basically said its a rip-off paying that much per day. I knew at the time it was off - and it was.

First guy was a friend of a friend and he apologies after about the FD. They went months without getting anyone.

Point is theres always someone to stick they're oar in and want to see what they're spending they're money on.

(Worst I ever heard from an agency guy who I got to know. One client would regularly interview people, then they'd hear nothing, then 2 months later they'd say ok can we have person A then?)
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

OP it is frustrating, it's not like you've applied to be CEO of the company which would warrant 3 interviews! I've had the same happen to me and the beauty about contracting is that you can decide what you are willing to put up with and what you won't put up with. Personally I think 2 stage interview (1 x phone call and 1 x F2F) is sufficient, anything else it just becomes a joke.

*There are plenty of contracts out there!

*Disclaimer: This depends on your personal situation/circumstances including war chest!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I remember applying to join PIMCO. 11 interviews. Some at 11pm at night! Told I was a dead cert and just a rubber stamping interview by guy on PIMCO board. I took it very seriously - just as well! But he kept asking about stuff I had done 20 years ago.
                  WOW!!! That is crazy! 11 Interviews, Brillo why did you keep going after the 3rd?

Comment

Yes it does happen.. Fortunately not too often.
                    In my experience, it is mostly with hiring managers that do not understand contracting, do not understand the difference between contractors and permies, and believe they really are recruiting a perm employee - despite all evidence to the contrary.
                    If you're a prefessional contractor, that should ring some alarm bells.

But as has been said earlier in the thread... the abnormal of yesterday is the new normal of today.
                    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Working...
                    X