• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finishing up - expectations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing up - expectations

Hi,

I'm currently mid contract. The role has been interesting and I've learnt a fair bit.

The contract runs to Oct.

The main body of the work will be complete by then (i.e. v1 delivered) but there will be additional work to do (i.e. rolling out system across other countries). I don't think I'll find this bit as intersting or learn as much.

What is the industry expectation on this? Ok to walk (in line with contract) or should stay for a few more months to get the job propely finished?

Perhaps this can only be judged on a case by case basis - but keen to know your thoughts anyway.

Untouchable1

I used to show loyalty to the project and client by accepting extensions until the job was done, rejecting other decent contracts in the name of professionalism.

The last time I did this I passed a great local contract in favour of transitioning a project from design into build stage.

A month after I extended the buggers cancelled my project (which had blown a couple of million up to that point). I tidied up for a couple of weeks after and then terminated the contract.

So my professionalism now only extends to not leaving until the end of the contract. What I decide to do after that must be to the benefit of myco.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Not cool cojak.

I always think well they know how long the project is for. If they want me to stay absolutely until the end then offer me a contract for that length, no get out etc for me (And be willing to pay for it).

If you offer 3 months because you want to see how things are budgetwise knowing full well its likely to run for 6 months, then its tough tittie if contractor leaves after 3 months.....

In your case though, I would not have been pleased....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Not cool cojak.

I always think well they know how long the project is for. If they want me to stay absolutely until the end then offer me a contract for that length, no get out etc for me (And be willing to pay for it).

If you offer 3 months because you want to see how things are budgetwise knowing full well its likely to run for 6 months, then its tough tittie if contractor leaves after 3 months.....

Indeed I always find it bemusing when a client can't fathom why you're refusing an extension they are so very kindly offering you (especially when the project is a car crash waiting to happen). Just had the same, 15+ UK devs now down to 3, almost everything offshored, new CTO has gone on record to say that he hates contractors and want a small permie team overseeing an army of (not very good Indian) devs, offered another 6 months as they havent been able to hire any permies due to numerous factors. Couldn't understand why I said no

Comment

Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
          Perhaps this can only be judged on a case by case basis - but keen to know your thoughts anyway.
          This is mostly a business decision that has to be weighed on a cost-benefit analysis. So many variables, no one else can answer this for you. Here's a few:

1. Is this a potential future client for you, and how much do you value the client relationship? And related to that, how hard will it be for them to replace you if you walk?
          2. For most people, a longer contract is better, because you don't end up on the bench, but if you are in great demand and can get contracts whenever you want, taking a shorter contract is irrelevant.
          3. You may not have any longer contracts available at the time.
          4. You may have personal reasons (you want to go to Australia in January or something) why a short contract to finish this out is to your own benefit.
          5. Depending on industry, this client may be one that will say good or bad things about you to others depending on how this goes. Is this in a "it's a small world" industry, and will word-of-mouth / referrals have any bearing on your future opportunities?
          6. Is the client willing to pay a premium on your normal rate to extend you for a shorter contract since it gives you "less security" than a longer contract would?
          7. How much have you benefited from this contract? You said you've learned from the contract, which means they took on someone who didn't know everything needed for the job. Will you personally feel a little as if you haven't done right by them if you walk, that you've benefited perhaps more than they have, and that you'd feel happier with yourself if you finished it out for them? That's not so much a financial question, and certainly not a legal one, but it's a good feeling to walk out of a job feeling you've left the client entirely happy, and it might be worth something.
          8. Is this a border-line IR35 contract, where you've operated outside IR35 but would feel a little nervous if HMRC investigated it? If so, walking away before completion would be a strong pointer towards no MOO and would help your case.
          9. Is travel or expense a factor one way or another?

There are bound to be other factors as well. But most of this stuff can only be answered by you, and only you can decide how much weight to put on each of them. Sometimes it helps to list the pros and cons and the importance/weight you give each of them.

If the client is happy with you, they will be expecting you to stay. But you are operating a business, and you have no legal obligation to stay. Rarely will there be any kind of moral obligation to stay, either. But there might be reasons, for your own peace of mind or for long-term client relationships, to stay even if it isn't better financially in the short term.

Comment

WTWIBS said. Nice post.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Not cool cojak.

Not sure where the 'not cool' sits tbh. The project which I was contracted (and had included in my contract schedule) was cancelled by the client. It ceased to exist. I tidied up my aspects of the project and moth-balled it in case they wanted to re-start. The client expected me to merge into a BAU team, I subsequently explained what MOO meant (and the lack thereof) and left the the same afternoon.

It's just business.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Not sure where the 'not cool' sits tbh. The project which I was contracted (and had included in my contract schedule) was cancelled by the client. It ceased to exist. I tidied up my aspects of the project and moth-balled it in case they wanted to re-start. The client expected me to merge into a BAU team, I subsequently explained what MOO meant (and the lack thereof) and left the the same afternoon.

It's just business.
                I think he's saying it's not cool what they did to you.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

It's just business.
                  Sorry - I meant not cool by them. Good for you though....
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    WTWIBS said. Nice post.
                    WWIBS
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X