• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where am I going wrong - help finding a new contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specifically on the Capita point, dont limit yourself to them for PS roles. They dont have all of them or even the majority and in many cases they are not actively recruiting for the roles they have, they are just acting as the "front end" for other agencies to deal with when submitting candidates.

I have two public sector clients where I am working through an agency and have no dealings with Capita at all.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

If it helps, I had been out of contract for nearly 2 years before landing my current gig. I had a couple of time wasting contracts that ended after a week, but I am not counting those. My advice is to review and revise your CV and find a productive hobby in the mean time.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        If it helps, I had been out of contract for nearly 2 years before landing my current gig. I had a couple of time wasting contracts that ended after a week, but I am not counting those. My advice is to review and revise your CV and find a productive hobby in the mean time.
        WPS

+1
        one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I stopped reading at the point you said PMO / Project Management. Probably the time the agent bins your CV. If you honestly don't know why then go permie. HTH BIDI
          This.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
            You have been contracting for 8 years but your last contract was over 4 years, you are a pseudo permie not a contractor. Do you have a lot of big names on your CV or does it look like a permies CV?
            Another ridiculous assumption. How many times does it have to be said that continuity of business is good practice and can show that you are great at your job, good at selling yourself, in demand etc. Furthermore, some skills and disciplines are more suited to long term roles and projects.

You can have a dig at me if you like: I've had 3 contracts in 10 years - multiple renewals and varying rates, including both decreases and increases mid-client. I differentiate myself from permies in numerous ways, not only in that that I recently billed in 1 week what it takes many permies at this client 6 months to earn. Bah.
            Last edited by ChimpMaster; 25 June 2015, 13:38.

Comment

One thing you can do if you haven't done so is write all your CVs in the first person.

While it's acceptable to write CVs in the third person as well, depending on who and most importantly where the CV is being shifted, you will not get pass the gate keepers if it's written in the third person.

Recruitment consultants on average have lower qualification levels than the average IT bod, so you need to write your CV so they aren't put off.

Also don't try and squash your experience into two pages if you have a lot of it. Try different lengths and see which length picks up the most interest. So if agents ring you back more if you submit a 3 or 4 page CV in a slightly larger sized font then that's what you should stick with.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Where am I going wrong - help finding a new contract

Not sure can be off topic so ignore if you want. Recently spoke to a potential new Client - 1-2 days / week role. Client liked the CV and good discussion. However client feedback came as I was over qualified, coming out of permanent job in July. What did I do wrong? What ticked that off? Also worth getting back to Client (directly or through Agent) just to explain more? I have couple of similar contracts roles (part time as what I am looking) already signed so wondering what went wrong. Desperately need the money.
                Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                Last edited by WTFH; 31 May 2019, 07:34. Reason: Edited to remove adverts

Comment

Originally posted by TechRiskPartners View Post
                  Not sure can be off topic so ignore if you want. Recently spoke to a potential new Client - 1-2 days / week role. Client liked the CV and good discussion. However client feedback came as I was over qualified, coming out of permanent job in July. What did I do wrong? What ticked that off? Also worth getting back to Client (directly or through Agent) just to explain more? I have couple of similar contracts roles (part time as what I am looking) already signed so wondering what went wrong. Desperately need the money.
                  Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  If the feedback says you're overqualified it means they don't want you.

It's just an easy way to say that without feeling impolite.
                  It may be they've found someone else. They may have not decided if they want that role filling. They may not like the cut of your jib.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TechRiskPartners View Post
                    However client feedback came as I was over qualified... so wondering what went wrong.
                    Maybe you came across too confident or pushy; the "know it all" type that some people can't work with and/or get scared of?

Always read the interviewer, and tone it down/up depending on how they react to what you're saying.
                    Last edited by zonkkk; 24 May 2019, 08:03.

Comment

And don't spam threads asking the same question or the Mods will give you the same answer that the interviewers gave you...
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X