• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Must I declare that I am claiming benefits as a Director for Reference Checks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must I declare that I am claiming benefits as a Director for Reference Checks?

I have been offered a contract with a well known bank but as part of their checks they have asked whether I have been on any benefits in the last 2 years. I literally only started claiming Job seekers allowance in the last 3 weeks as Director for my company as a last resort after being forced out of work for some months. Facing financial problems it was the only way to get some additional help from housing benefit with paying towards my mortgage.

Do I need to declare this, is it likely that it will be checked and if so, how? The thing is, it has no correlation to the time I have been off so would not be useful evidence to prove it as I only just recently registered as unemployed? I'm worried it could cause delays and confusion regarding the progress of my references and checks. I plan to "re-employ" myself as director once I have stayed my contract but not even sure if this is necessary? Does the whole JSA question really only relate to people who have been employed in actual jobs directly relayed to the industry they are working in rather than their own limited companies. Please help! Confused!

Hmm so question is do you lie on the checks to find out if you are trustworthy and financially responsible? No. Any other stupid questions?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes you must and it's actually good that you did claim benefits because they would ask for personal references if you didn't

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
        ...they have asked whether I have been on any benefits in the last 2 years. I literally only started claiming Job seekers allowance in the last 3 weeks...

Confused!
        If you are confused about whether you have claimed benefits in the last two years, then walk away from the contract now.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
        X