• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email Signatures

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Out of curiosity, is this a security thing, i.e. clients requesting you use their e-mail?

Personally, I've always used my company e-mail account and associated sig. without any queries (and I wouldn't have expected queries as an external consultant). I imagine it's a right PITA to manage different business e-mail accounts, putting aside any (minor) IR35 issues, especially if you have multiple clients.
    Depends on the client, certain public sector bodies certainly don't want you sending their information through an email service they dont control, and the same probably goes for larger private sector companies as well. If you are working on anything remotely sensitive, commercially or otherwise, no client is going to want their stuff being sent to an external address.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Depends on the client, certain public sector bodies certainly don't want you sending their information through an email service they dont control, and the same probably goes for larger private sector companies as well. If you are working on anything remotely sensitive, commercially or otherwise, no client is going to want their stuff being sent to an external address.
      It's hard to avoid sending stuff to an external address if you work offsite. That said, the only times I've dealt with really sensitive info. (which isn't often) have been through a secure file exchange, rather than e-mail.

Comment

Out of curiosity, is this a security thing, i.e. clients requesting you use their e-mail?

Personally, I've always used my company e-mail account and associated sig. without any queries (and I wouldn't have expected queries as an external consultant). I imagine it's a right PITA to manage different business e-mail accounts, putting aside any (minor) IR35 issues, especially if you have multiple clients.
        It depends if you are using their kit or your own, if their kit you have to use their services like email, very few clients these days lets you access webmail or the like from thier network
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

It's hard to avoid sending stuff to an external address if you work offsite. That said, the only times I've dealt with really sensitive info. (which isn't often) have been through a secure file exchange, rather than e-mail.
          The guys that take it seriously will insist on you useing their kit and if you are working reomtely, using a secure VPN to connect back to the office so you have access to the corporate email.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            The guys that take it seriously will insist on you useing their kit and if you are working reomtely, using a secure VPN to connect back to the office so you have access to the corporate email.
            Yep, but at least they've dispensed with the key ring toggle. I got a text message with my codes on it last time (received on myco phone ).
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Yep, but at least they've dispensed with the key ring toggle. I got a text message with my codes on it last time (received on myco phone ).
              I still rememeber a client where I had three RSA tokens for accessing different systems, each one identical to the other so having to put tippex dots on each one to remind me which token was for whick system
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Still got one of those at current client.

Permies with client co. phones get to use an app on the phone instead.

Comment

Gotcha - makes sense if everything is controlled. I use my own kit and proprietary tools, and rarely login to client systems. I work on civil engineering projects which, once happening, aren't overly sensitive (or where the sensitive parts would be impossible to leverage out of context). I guess it's a different world if you're working directly on client systems, or with personally identifiable info. like bank or HR records etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                    Never had a problem with the following and it sets just the right distance without rubbing peoples noses in it. LinkedIn, www linky, free advertising? Yeah right like a lead balloon.

--
                    <fullname>, Contractor.
                    Tel: <my mobile>
                    Yes after thinking about it I will probably go with something neutral. There is an intermediate consultancy who I might mention too, eg

Unixman - mobilenum - contractor, Myco Ltd / Consultancy Ltd.

I exchange emails with the client's vendors too, and as somebody said, Clientco might not like attention being drawn to my status with every email. But in that case they should employ a permie. Something like the above lets people who and what you are without "rubbing their noses in it" indeed. It might also remind me that I am representing Consultency Ltd and Myco, and to behave accordingly.

Background - I've been with client 2 years and lately, bit by bit, they are starting to treat me like a member of staff. An old problem CUKers will be familiar with. This signature request is part of that, but might also provide an opportunity to send out a useful reminder.
                    Last edited by unixman; 25 June 2015, 09:43.

Comment

That really depends on your client platform. Many are going the cloud route for office apps including Outlook. Easy to access anywhere in the world from any authenticated device.

I always use as default MyName, ProjectName, MyNumber.

I also never accept a client mobile handset unless there is a specific reason e.g. handheld apps for monitoring and testing, particularly for mobile engineers and the like. In which case it is only ever used for the stated purpose, never calls.

If a client has a particular template for email sigs then I don't see it as an issue to comply. I am quite confident that no one was ever or will be found inside IR35 because of it. It would be interesting to know what HMRC policy is for their own contractors/consultants in this regard
                      Last edited by tractor; 25 June 2015, 10:39.

Comment

Working...
                      X